help with canoe model

Reel1x1

I scored a really nice 13’71/2” Oldtown, 33” at it’s widest. Definitely Royalex. The HIN number is XTC56797M84I. I take this to be a 1984 canoe manf in September. The Oldtown labels are like new but no sign of ever having a model name. Any help finding the model name would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome and congratulations, it is my sad duty to report that the scanned Old Town records stop just over 250,000 and shortly before 1984 so no one here can provide more detailed information for your canoe with serial number 256797. My guess is that you probably have an Otter model based on the dimensions listed in the 1984 price list below.

Benson

OTC-1984.jpg

Benson. I am intrigued by a “Canoe in a box”. Was this a whole kit which Old Town sold with everything in it and ready for assembly? I wonder how many they sold as the effort in numbering every part would be tiresome. Get a rib in the wrong place and you could be stuffed!

I am intrigued by a “Canoe in a box”. Was this a whole kit which Old Town sold with everything in it and ready for assembly?

Their Canoe-in-a-box Kit was a stripper with everything in a package as described below from the catalog. They didn't sell many but one showed up on eBay a few years ago.

Benson

OTC-kit.jpg

The end result was far from intriguing. I remember seeing one in the Old Town booth at a trade show and it was about the sloppiest stripper I had ever seen. They had applied the glass, filled the weave and varnished it without sanding the resin (polyester) smooth first. If nothing else, they had mastered that "built in somebody's garage" look.

Back