Help Identifying W/C Canoe

Erich

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Circa 1924, my Grandfather and a friend had heard Zane Grey boast that he was going to be the first one to paddle Oregon's Rogue River in a canoe. They beat him to it. I've begun researching their trip for a series of articles, which will culminate in recreating the trip next fall with my son. Does anyone have any idea what type of canoe is shown in the photos?

Attachments

• rougeriver1 copy.jpg
    rougeriver1 copy.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 424
  • rougeriver2 copy.jpg
    rougeriver2 copy.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 387
Sounds like a very cool adventure, especially since it's a dad/son re-creation of his great-grandfather's feat. Please share the story with us after publication... or post here how things went!

I personally don't have an eye for determining what your grandfather's canoe might be from the profile picture, beyond saying it isn't a guide-type which would have lower ends.

Someone else may have a better idea. If you have knowledge of what the decks were like, that would help.

Kathy

Thanks for replying, Kathy. I don't have any photos showing the decks. I have had a suggestion that the lines at the bow support a canoe shoe, such as the First Nations used on their BB boats. I've also been told that the hard sheer curve means it is not likely an Old Town.

Best,

Erich

I'm wondering if anyone can eliminate other possibilities as to who the maker was. So far, I've been told it's not an Old Town, and not likely another Maine builder. Any other ideas?

Erich

Rogue Trip

Erich,

Have you looked for any stories in the morgue of the Eugene Register Guard? I believe the newspaper was called The Guard in the twenties.

If your Grandfather borrowed a canoe from the University of Oregon outdoor program the student paper might have a story about the trip.

R.C.

Hi R.C.,

I've queried the Register-Guard, they have all the past issues going back to the Guard. Neither they, nor the University of Oregon archives have been able to provide any info. I suspect that it may be there, but it'll take some personal work in the newspapers' morgues to find it. My aunt swears that there was a two page spread in the Oregonian, that hasn't turned up yet. I guess it's a trip to Portland and Eugene for me this winter.

Erich

Would the accessory sponson or outrigger or float that is shown in the first picture help identify the maker?

The sponson is in fact, just a tire inner tube, cut, sealed and then tied to the side.
I think that although difficult, it should be possible to narrow the possible builders by looking at the shear and stem shape.

Attached is the image of Rushton's American Beauty, courtesy "The Historic Wood Canoe and Boat Company Catalog Collection", CDs available from http://www.wcha.org/catalog/ and http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/cdrom.htm on the web.

I believe this only came in the 16 foot length, although Russ Hicks has an 18 footer. I understand that his canoe is the only one known to be in private hands.

Attachments

• rushton american beauty 1915.gif
    rushton american beauty 1915.gif
    173.5 KB · Views: 2,279
The angle of the canoe in the picture may exaggerate the steepness of the "climb" to the tip of the stems... in looking at pictures in the catalogs and pictures folks have posted, I find it hard to say for sure that "it isn't an Old Town".

Look at the Otca in this thread:
http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?p=26941#post26941

The camera angle makes the lines of the canoe appear different from the way it would look in a straight-on profile.

Not that I'm saying your grandfather's canoe IS an Old Town, but consider the types of wood/canvas canoes that would have been available to your grandfather, in the place where he lived. Unless a builder shipped factory-direct to the buyer, or sold canoes through a dealership, you might be looking at a local builder that may only have built and sold canoes locally, who might not be generally known.

Many of the old companies-- Old Town, Rushton, Morris, Carlton, others-- sold through dealerships from the turn of the 20th Century or before, and their canoes reached many markets.

Just a thought.
Kathy

The shear does look like Rushton's American Beauty. Would anyone know how common Rushton's canoes would have been in Oregon or the West Coast in the 1920's?

Rushton advertised nationally, shipped via rail from the factory and also sold canoes through agents, so it is possible that Rushton canoes made it to the West Coast. Dan and other Rushton experts may know what the numbers might be. The factory closed in 1917.

I believe there are only two known American Beauty canoes in existence.

Back