Help Identifying Canoe #1

barry jones

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Can anyone help me correctly identify this unknown Canoe

Canoe (1) (Large).JPGCanoe (2) (Large).JPGCanoe (11) (Large).JPG

Looks like a 16' Old Town Otca. Hard to tell if it's AA-grade or CS, but looks like CS (sprice gunwales and hardwood-but not mahogany- seat frames, thwarts and decks). Probably from the teens because it appears not to have diamond-head bolts. Are there bunged (plugged) holes in the inwales where seat and thwart bolts are located? There should be a serial number on the top surface of each stem- the circumferential piece that comes down into the floor at each end. Don't sand or scrape, but apply a little paint stripper to a stem if you can't see the serial number. Getting the old varnish off can help.

Look here to see an example serial number. Yours will probably have 5 digits followed by a space and then "16"

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?7636-Made-for-Abercrombie-amp-Fitch-by-Old-Towne-Canoe-Co.

Harvey

Thanks Harvey, I have been "out-of-pocket' for a while. Did get your info on the canoe and will try the paint stripper and let you know what i find. It is so good to know that you guys are out there and care for your interest and
enthusiasm for the work.
Thanks, Barry Jones

Back