Grant Canoe Stewart Model

Albert Galpin

I'm restoring a 16' Grant Canoe (Stewart model). It was made in Middlesex Nova Scotia by a Mr ?? Grant who died in 1994. He apparently made over 500 canoes. Does anyone have further info about this canoe and the Grant Canoe Company? I am also looking for a logo or decal that I can put back on the stern (or bow? - the canoe is covered up at the moment!!) which was lost to varnish stripper. If someone could take a high res photo of the decal and e-mail it to me I can take care of the rest. You can e-mail me at albert.galpin@gmail.com

Hi Albert,

I believe you must have a Harold Gates canoe, right?

Harold Gates from Middleton, Nova Scotia purchased Tim Stewart’s molds in the late 1950’s. He passed away in 1994. His canoes have a decal, a standing oval with a swan against a background of orange and light blue. Today those molds are owned and used by Kip McCurdy also in Nova Scotia.

Dick Persson

Gates Canoe

Dick, many thanks for your reply. That is right Harold Gates. Middleton also makes more sense. Thanks to your information I found the website for McCurdy and Reed Canoes http://www.mccurdyandreedcanoes.com/canoes.html I will contact them for a decal.
Dick Persson said:
Hi Albert,

I believe you must have a Harold Gates canoe, right?

Harold Gates from Middleton, Nova Scotia purchased Tim Stewart’s molds in the late 1950’s. He passed away in 1994. His canoes have a decal, a standing oval with a swan against a background of orange and light blue. Today those molds are owned and used by Kip McCurdy also in Nova Scotia.

Dick Persson

Last edited:
Back