Good day yesterday

Jan Bloom

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Went up to Mio, Mi to Woodside Lumber which is an Amish sawmill and bought some really nice clear cedar. 7 & 8 ft lengths,the price was right. Yes, longer would be nicer but you work with what you have. I learned that from Mr. Stradivarious. Yup, he worked with what he had, knots and all. Yes, there are Strads with knots. Then I went over to Dave McDaniel's and had a look at his Morris. Took a few pics for reference for when I start the work on mine.

I live in the wrong part of the country! Down here when I tell people the wood I use is cedar the usual response is "Heck, I've been using that junk for fence posts."

Knot all cedar is good cedar. The southern variant is nothing like its northern cousin (or western for that matter).

"You imported cedar from where?"

Nevermind... :rolleyes:

Steve,
If you ever wanted to come up and get pick up load of cedar it might be worth it. Especially if there where a number of you sharing the cost of the trip and 2 driving. If of course plain sawn 8' and 7' lengths are ok. Where I went the mill does not do any quarter sawn or "specialty" stuff. For that there is another amish sawyer in the area.

Back