Getting ready for Sandy!

Frankenstorm, but our trusty U.S. Postal Delivery Person came through and delivered Wooden Canoe, issue 173. Life is Good (as long as the power stays on).

Shame about the Bounty. She came into Marquette Harbor (near me) a few years back. Love those tall ships.

At my house, the sun is shining.

Life is Good (as long as the power stays on).

Even after...got the headlamp out of my hunting gear, found the and fired up the kerosene lamp and used those to get the generator out and fire that puppy up...it's been a while.
Another trip to the gas station to get more benzene rings while my wife got the woodstove going.
A Manhattan and a nice magazine (173) and it's quite acceptable.
The wind is really buzzing.
Perhaps the geese will avail themselves tomorrow!

. . . but our trusty U.S. Postal Delivery Person came through and delivered Wooden Canoe, issue 173. Life is Good (as long as the power stays on).

Fitz --

Well, the US Postal Service did not deliver mail in my part of Brooklyn today (Mon) -- however the State of NY kept state offices in NYC open, tho I was allowed to work at home today instead of having to find a way into lower Manhattan. I'm not sure of utility of empty open offices.

But with the flooding of the Battery Tunnel and several subway stations, the closing of the NY Stock Exchange (three feet of water in the building) and the federal and state courts, the shut-down of all public transportation, the closing of every bridge leaving Long Island, and a blackout of Manhattan below 34th St. (my office was in the first area to be blacked-out), the state realized this evening that getting to the office might be a problem and closed state offices in NYC and on Long Island for tomorrow (Tues).

Though pre-emptive blackouts were threatened this evening in Brooklyn, none came, so we didn't have to fire up the camp stove or light up the flashlights. A lot of wind, a fair amount of rain, and some serious flooding that will keep the city in knots for a few days at least. But we are high and more-or-less dry, and if the Times gets delivered to the local bodega in the morning, we will manage.

Best wishes to all of you affected by the storm.
We're fine here on Vermont's eastern shore (Connecticut River). A few branches and trees down; power out for a while. Stream revetments placed after Irene came through in great shape. Canoes hoisted to the rafters for the winter.
For those of you with significant damage or have family and friends with significant damage, recovery and rehabilitation is a long marathon. May this bring your communities together and bring you new friends.

Greg, it's good see your post above. You must be in the part of Brooklyn that never lost power -or it's back on already.

Gil --

Thanks for your good thoughts.

In our part of Brooklyn (Park Slope), we didn't lose power and we weren't flooded. A few stray tree branches came down, and some trees a few blocks away. Our TV antenna mast broke (we don't have cable), but it did not interfere with TV, while our neighbors with cable lost service -- and Radio Shack had a new mast, which I got installed yesterday. Though we are only a few blocks from the harbor and the Gowanus canal, at 53' elevation we are well above sea level -- Park Slope really is a slope -- the back side of the morraine that is Long Island, created by the last glaciers. But much of the very edges of Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island are largely low-lying areas that once were salt marshes -- the glacier run-off plains -- since mostly filled in, but still very low-lying.

My office is in lower Manhattan, where there is no power, and the subway tunnels out of Brooklyn have been flooded. We are right on Broadway, which runs along the height of the land of Manhattan, a block from the Stock Exchange; the Exchange is operating with emergency generators they brought in, and while I am told there is essentially no damage right around us, the power can't be turned back on until they pump out lower-lying buildings closer to the East River. The edges of Manhattan are almost all fill placed over the years in the Hudson or East Rivers, restrained by bulk heading --on the east side of lower Manhattan, Water St., Front St., and South St. at various times marked the water's edge, but became inland streets the island "grew" in the 19th century, and modern Battery Park City and the World Financial Center expanded lower Manhattan by a couple of blocks westerly at the end of the 20th century. All these areas are low-lying, and while the buildings may be tall, their basements (usually two, three, and four levels underground), are often below sea level.

So I've had a bit of unexpected time off -- no real treat, since the backed-up work will be waiting when I get back, probably on Monday.

I understand that Dover-Foxcroft, Maine (where our canoes are) -- and I guess most of Maine -- was largely unaffected.

So we were lucky -- a huge amount of damage was done to homes along the New Jersey Shore and in the New Jersey meadow lands, on Long Island, and along the extensive low-lying parts of Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island. The damage that affects me is not directly to my home or family -- it is infrastructure damage that basically causes me only inconvenience, not the real loss that so many are suffering.

In my work as an environmental lawyer for NY, I deal a lot with wetlands regulation and protection, and shore front erosion issues. The regulations that are intended to protect wetlands, beaches, and shore fronts are largely seen by those most directly affected by them as burdensome, annoying, and interfering. And they are, but even so, more is needed -- the kind of devastation resulting from this storm (and there will be more like it and worse) shows that more attention needs to be paid to the forces of nature rather than to the conveniences of those who wish to live within walking distance of a beach or the greed of those who wish to build a football stadium or factory in a wet meadow.

Some politicians are already crying "We will rebuild!" But we shouldn't -- not in those same areas, or at least not in the same way. If we do, we will suffer the same, and greater, loses again, and again as often as we just rebuild. I would hope that we might learn from such an experience -- learn to do things differently so we won't repeat the same experience. But I am not optimistic -- doing things differently can be expensive and inconvenient, and the potential rewards are distant and not immediately obvious, and people all to often just don't like to change.

Sorry for the rant -- but it is difficult to hear newscasters and public officials complaining about serious loss, without any acknowledgement that the policies and practices of our culture have contributed to, and even caused, those losses. Storms have always happened, and always will. The beaches have always eroded, and low-lying areas have always flooded. Historically, we have not usually built on the beaches or in swamps and meadow lands. We seem, as a culture, to have become more stupid. If we suffer losses from storms, it is in good part because we have put ourselves in their way, often needlessly and thoughtlessly.

Thanks for this, Greg.

John McPhee not only wrote a book about bark canoes but also wrote one (in 1990) about humanity's attempts to control nature.

I'm also remembering Rachel Carson's statement, that “The 'control of nature' is a phrase conceived in arrogance, born of the Neanderthal age of biology and philosophy, when it was supposed that nature exists for the convenience of man.”

Kathy

Ebay item number 121012290903 is a hurricane Sandy special, if anyone is looking for a courting canoe. It's a pretty nice canoe, if I say so myself.

There I go, going off half cocked again, and making an ass out of myself. My sincere apologies Gil. I had looked at, and admired the canoe previously. I glanced at the ad, but didn't scroll down far enough to see that you are donating 100% of the proceeds to the Red Cross. That is a fantastic gesture!

Last edited:
Gil, i hope the price goes higher than i can afford... Great gesture , i was previously unaware of Ebay 'Giving works'. Good on ya.
** just a heads up, wont allow bids from Canada since it says it cant be shipped there, perhaps you could open that up.

Last edited:
Just got power here in Plainview Long Island NY after 9 days I guess....had to keep your cool and not get fustrated. Many others were not as fortunate. Huge tree fell down in yard and would have smashed Max if I left it here fooling around. Glad it didn't hit the house or anyone around it. Be well everyone.

Back