Gerrish found

Nothing can be learned from Gerrish serial numbers, apart that it is likely a later canoe. Photos will help.

Where are the numbers located? What year did Gerrish start using serial numbers?

Stamped right on the bow deck - see attached. Not sure when he started numbering his canoes.

Attachments

• Gerrish Deck.jpg
    Gerrish Deck.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 229
Not sure when he started numbering his canoes.

I put it to the magic 8 ball, got the same answer as when i asked if we would ever understand Morris numbers.
:D:D Never doubt the 8 ball.

Attachments

• 2343209-magic8ball1.jpg
    2343209-magic8ball1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 185
I have a little theory of Gerrish dating his canoes. I have started a list of Gerrish serial numbers which is at home and I am on my lunch at work now. I don't believe that he started numbering his canoes during the very early years. During the mid years of business is when I think he started numbering canoes. I have 5 Gerrish's and no one can tell me for sure dates so I approximate to the best of my abliity of the years. I have not found one with open gunnels serial numbered. So I figure he changed his canoes to OG in 1905. The latest serial number I have found is one of my own which is 1774 if memory serves me. I date it around 1900-1905 so I would guess that the your canoe would be around 1895. How bout some pics of her!

Last edited:
Back