gaps between planks

John Waddington

Curious about Wooden Canoes
The canoe that I'm planning on re-canvassing has been stored in a barn for many, many years. The wood is very dry. When I took off the rotten canvas I could see that there are gaps between the planks. These range from 1/16" to 1/4". Will this be a problem, and should I do something with these gaps before I put on the new canvas?

John

Attachments

• gapsP1020091-cr.jpg
    gapsP1020091-cr.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 264
  • gapsP1020088.jpg
    gapsP1020088.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 239
Nope, do not fill the gaps. There should be some space as it allows the inside of the canoe to dry out after use. In the old days they used to oil the planking before canvassing. However, it has been learned that mold loves linseed oil so most have quit that practice. No sense in applying something that is attractive to mold. Some will brush on one or 2 coats of well thinned varnish on the planks and let that dry before they stretch on the canvas. Just enough to seal the wood so the planks do not soak up to the water that gets splashed inside from use. Not as much as when varnishing the inside. That will help in protecting the wood. Don't get carried away and think that the outside needs to be varnished heavily. It doesn't as it will be covered with canvas. When you said you have ordered 15 oz I hope you meant to say #10 Duck.

Yes, it was #10 duck that I ordered. Thanks very much for the advice. I've got a lot to learn. I've made 7 cedar strip kayaks and one cedar strip canoe, but canvas covered canoes are new to me.

John

I kinda like the life that some thinned linseed oil brings back to the wood. I recanvassed a canoe I had restored about 10 years earlier. I gave it a drink of thinned linseed oil originally. When I recanvassed the canoe, there was no sign of mold. The wood however still seemed to be lubricated with the oil mix.

The canoe was however was well stored and filled with, Gawd forbid, leaded filler.

Your mileage may vary, but I still give canoes a bit of a restorative snake oil.

Back