First recanvas attempt

LuckyDog

I'm about to begin my first recanvas job (1964 16ft Otca). Given the prices from Old Town, I'm worried a bit about buying too much. I really don't know how much fill or paint to get, or even if OT is the best source. I'm a very firm believer in not cutting corners on quantity or quality of raw materials for any project. Any advice out there?

There are any number of restorers on here who can advise you on what to get and how much. I personally consulted with a William Clements-boat builder. In your search engine you can find his site...I got my canvas,filler, bedding,tacks, ring nails, etc thru him. It was a substantial savings over OT's prices..Very sociable guy and will take the time to explain things...Visited his shop and dont let the "boat" word scare you off. He had 2 canoes curing while I was there..I am sure you will get some other feed back ...Good luck. I start doing my 65 Otca after I finish this monster W/C boat I am restoring./B]

Canvas and filler

I just recanvassed my 1915 Kennebec, 16', and bought the heavy weight, treated canvas from northwoods canoe (Rollin's place.) I bought 19 feet of it, and that was plenty, you want enough to attach to your stretchers. I did the upside down method-and it worked great with just myself doing it. I can get you some pictures if you'd like.
-Bill

more info

Figure on a gallon of filler. The first coat will soak in and leave you thinking there isn't enough but the next coats don't take nearly as much. A quart of paint should do it. If you use staples instead of tacks try to get the stainless. Monel doesn't hammer in as well as stainless, for those staples that stand proud and need a tap from a hammer. Monel is ok otherwise.

Filler and Paint

I used a gallon of filler on the canvas (from Northwoods), and have only used about 1/4 of my gallon of Kirby's marine paint on the first 2 coats.:)

I used one gallon of Northwoods but felt like I was a pint or so short - but heck, I'm a novice.

I used Kirby Bottle green marine enamel but don't recall how much.

I should have sanded the cured filler better before painting and I didn't thin the Kirby's enough and got paint strokes to show. This required several sandings/re-coating with pain and it still isn't right. So get the filler very fair (though don't sand into the weave of the canvas) before painting.

Some photos here:

http://members7.clubphoto.com/eric520065/1482806/owner-ef36.phtml

and part II:

http://members7.clubphoto.com/eric520065/1740644/owner-ef36.phtml

Like the others I've used one gallon of filler on each canoe from Rollin Thurlow on seven canoes now. This is on canoes 16 feet thru 18 footers. I buy my paint from Kirby and plan to put on a minimum of 4 coats and preferably 5 using 2 quarts. I use penetrol to get the paint to flow smoothly and will end up with a nice high gloss finish. Using just one quart doesn't seem to me to get the best finish. Good luck.

Back