Filler?

chris pearson

Michigan Canoe Nut
Pulled off the canvas from the 1964 OT Guide. Really doesnt look to be filler under the paint!!?? If there is, it's not grey in color. Anyone got a clue here?

Chris

The color of the filler is mostly determined by the color of the paint used in the recipe. Gray makes a good neutral primer base, especially under red paints, but there is nothing to prevent Old Town or you from having used a different color paint in the filler.

Yeah, but....

I'd buy that, ok, but the coating seemed pretty thin on the canvas. And I know it was original.

canvas weight

What is the difference in actual weight between canvas, say #8 to #10 or #10 to #12? About how much weight would you save on a 16 foot canoe?

I estimate that you would save approx. one lb by going from #8 to #10 canvas on a 16' canoe.

The number designation of the canvas indicates that the actual weight of a 36"x22" (.61 sq. yd) piece of material is 11 ounces and 9 ounces for the # 8 and #10 canvas, respectively. By using these numbers and assuming that roughly 5 square yards are needed for a 16' canoe, you can get the one lb differential. I don't know of a #12 duck canvas being available. Perhaps others do.

greatlakes said:
I don't know of a #12 duck canvas being available. Perhaps others do.

Sure is. I've still got half a roll in the garage. Several of our member/builders can supply it as well...

The #12 weighs rouglhy 7oz in the same 0.61 sq. yard size as reported by greatlakes.

What isn't accounted for is the amount of additional filler needed as move to the next heavier grade canvas.

2 Cents

FWIW, when I rehabbed my Dad's 18 ft Guide, I bothered to weigh the old canvas when I pulled it off. It was original No. 8 with plenty of coats of paint. It came in at 24 lbs dry.

I'm still young enough or at least I still think "young enough" that I worry about how the canoe will be used before I worry about weight. I'm due to go in the other direction soon though:eek: .

How do you plan to use the canoe? Lengthy trips in the bush or weekend quiet water paddles? I lean towards No. 8 for big tripping canoes, and No. 10 for weekenders and No. 12 on lightweights or something like that formula.

Big rains coming - I better remove the snow from the canoe shed. :eek:

Cheers.

Well.....

Well, I ordered # 10 and the point of more filler needed for heavier nap is a good one, thanks. I do have a pretty bad back, getting old is a *****.:eek: I float rivers out here in Michigan so the #10 seems more appealing. I weighed the 16' Guides canvas as well and got 16#. Again, not very much filler if any on it.:confused: The canoe has a sailing rig and I think half the canoes weight comes from the bow seat!:rolleyes: So, do you guys think #12 is the way to go?

Chris

thanks

Thanks for the info all. Gil, I try to order from Jack. I talked to him a couple of days ago and he hasent been in the shop for a month. His main helper Bill, has terminal cancer and has been helping him get through legal stuff, etc.. Jack is a good guy and even came to my Dad's funeral. Anyhow, I want to tell everyone thanks for all the help, this is a great club!!! Gil, Did you get hooked up with the guy at the boy scouts?
Merry Christmas to everybody and keep Jack McGreivey in your prayers.

Chris

Back