Filler Season Time?

Larry S

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I just finished re-canvasing a 1937 18' Old Town Guide. I know that the filler must season for a month or more, but I REALLY want the boat finished by August 4th. I live in the Central Valley of California. The weather here this time of year is 90 - 100 degrees with very low humidity.

So, the question is - Can I season the canoe for two weeks instead of the recommended four to six? I have a lot of work in this boat and would rather miss my deadline than mess it up.

Larry S.

My guess is that it probably would be cured in two weeks under those conditions, assuming it's a traditional filler. It would be like a blackboard to your fingernail. But, it depends on the filler. I use a latex exterior primer and it cures in a couple days. I can put two or three coats very thinly on in one day.

Hi Larry,

I'm in Reno, even drier than you, and it still takes about 4 weeks. A proper cure on the filler IS NOT something you want to skip over. The only thing I can recommend is patience. I just pulled a boat out that I filled 5 weeks ago, and it is pretty much good to go. It was still a little soft last week at this time.

Shoot me a PM, and I'd be happy to give you my #. We can yak canoes!

Mark

Thanks Dave and Mark. i will blow off the self imposed deadline and let it cure four - six weeks, whatever it takes. I now have another question about the keel, but I will start a new thread for that.

Larry S

Back