Filler curing and Cold!

KAT

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I have a boat ready for canvas and a few others which will be at that stage in the coming months, over the winter. I'm wondering about the filler curing, or perhaps not curing, with really low temperatures. I wouldn't likely be finishing and painting until Spring, so the boats would sit out in the shed throughout the winter, temps likely into the -30's C at some times. There isn't any water in the filler so freezing shouldn't be an issue, but would it just stop until it warmed up? Could the cold affect it in other ways?

I have no place to keep a filled boat in warmth while it cures. I Could wait until Spring, but would prefer to get it done now if possible since I will have a few over the next 6 months to do.

Thanks
Karin

Cold

I have filled canoes near freezing and let them cure during the winter and have experienced no ill effects. Traditional fillers. Your mileage may vary.

I have found that when I let a fill job cure over the winter, I usually get excellent results. This is probably due to the length of time, months versus weeks, that the filler cures. I also have noticed no ill effects.

I have covered canoes with cheap poly drop sheets and placed a heater underneath. I've only used the electric oil bath heater on low, nothing that glows red!!!!! It has helped cure a stripper epoxy Prospector and one filler job without incident.

Back