fiberglass showing on OT trapper

Jim Cantwell

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello. I bought a 1965 15' Trapper with natural finish. Has some fiberglass checkering showing. I lightly sanded with 400 grain, put coat of spar varnish on, and the fiberglass still shows. Do I need to sand more heavily and revarnish or ???? . Thanks for help. Jim...

You can expect any coat of varnish to simply follow the terrain it is applied to. To obtain a smooth surface that doesn't telegraph the glass below, you need build up a thick enough layer of varnish such that the surface can be sanded out level without getting down into the glass. Use some kind of block or firm pad to accomplish this and paper that is coarse enough to make this efficient (ie 120 grit) then work your way up through the grits (220 is good enough) each grit simply removing the scratches from the prior one. Wet sanding by hand is the way to go, much quicker and more efficient. Also a high build varnish (I like Captains Z-spar but we're getting into religion on which varnish) will reduce the number of coats it takes to build a thick enough layer to block out flat. You want to be sure that in the end, you have a reasonably robust total thickness when all said and done or the glass will again print through sometime down the road.

My humble opinion being new here and all...

It's also quite possible that the white stuff is down deep in the laminate, rather than a surface condition. When you bruise or stretch fiberglass or other laminated fabrics, they fracture slightly, down inside the weave. When you fracture the fibers, they turn whitish. A fractured area of woven cloth will usually show the weave pattern. They may not have any serious structural effect, but there is no way to get rid of them aside from removal and replacement of the damaged area. You can polish and varnish the surface all you want, but unless you're sanding way down into the cloth (which would weaken it greatly) you're not getting to the source of the problem and the spots will still look about the same.

The main causes for this type of thing on wooden canoes are impacts and heat. The wooden hull is much more prone to expansion and contraction from climate conditions than the laminated skin is capable of matching. Figure that if your 15' canoe expands as little as one half percent in length due to heat or weather conditions, that's almost 1" of change. Fiberglass and most other similar composites can't stretch that much over 15' without damage, and can't recover from it later. Same thing with impacts. The glass may not break, but a good impact might do some fracturing if it exceeds the limited modulus of elasticity of the composite skin.

If the spots are fractures, there realy isn't an effective cure, other than replacing the skin or painting the canoe. Best bet may be to simply live with them and enjoy your canoe. Sanding deep enough to remove them (if you even could) would not be a good idea.

Thanks for the input all. I think Todd's reply is what I'll follow. Live with it and enjoy my canoe. It's basically all original, including the original decals on sides. One previous owner, passed to nephew who took it out once and decided it was not for him. Then I bought it.... I'll enjoy it. Thanks again. Jim...

Back