Does anyone...

scott64a

Curious about Wooden Canoes
...have a drawing or diagram that shows how Old Town joined their mahogany transoms to the hulls in 1948? I'm going to be replacing my transom and will need a guide to go by.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the plywood that's in there isn't joined in the same fashion... and I may need to replace the last rib.

Anyone?

There set inside the planking and nailed in, The last rib is not attached to the stern at all. You may have to replace some of the planking. This is not an old town but is done just the same way. when it's all in I cut a 3/4" by 1/4" deep rabbit to tack the canvas into.
HPIM0833.jpg HPIM0837.jpg HPIM0828.jpg HPIM0840.jpg

Thanks for the pics. One restorer I spoke to said it was a special joint that Old Town did to attach the transom. I guess I'll get the glass off and have a good look. It'll be months away before I can do that, but when I do, I'll document and submit pics here.

I may even have someone else do the transom, and I'll do the planking repair and canvassing myself. Got to get a house with a small barn or garage big enough to do that first though... :)

Back