December paddle

Jan Bloom

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Temperature is hitting the low 50's tomorrow so I am going paddling. I have rotator cuff surgery on Monday and expect that it may be a bit before I can paddle again. Doc said recovery could be 2 weeks or 6 weeks or 6 months. I am hoping for 2-6 weeks. Just a little 5 mile stretch of the Paw Paw River, SW Michigan not WVa.

Had a great paddle today. About 5 miles in 3.5 hours. Numerous downed trees to go around, under or through branches. Saw one owl, a number of Piliated woodpeckers and one injured female wood duck that seemed to be getting along pretty well. She couldn't fly for some reason. She had a pretty nice little hiding hole along the bank so maybe she will get thru the winter. I have paddled somewhere in Michigan every month since June, 2009 that includes the winter months. Hoping to be back out by the end of January providing the shoulder surgery on Monday goes well.

Paul, don't scare me. The Doc said, 2 weeks, 6 weeks maybe 6 months. I am hoping 6 weeks. Got to many banjos to build to be down and out for much more than 6 weeks.

Depends on how much work they have to do, and how gently you use it after PT starts... Be nice to it.

Best of luck with the surgery, Jan. Sounds like this latest paddle of yours was the best sort of preparation for surgery!

Kathy

Very nice, Jan. What a great way to welcome winter and prep yourself for your surgery! Did you take along a camera? It would be great to see some pics posted here. Best of luck for a speedy recovery from surgery.

I used to take out the good camera and all the lenses and still do occasionally. However it is an extra worry especially when working thru a nasty tree tangle. What I need to do is just buy a small waterproof point & shoot camera.

I have an AW 100( it and the 110 are from Nikon). Its good to 30 feet deep too. However I usually don't take a snorkel when canoeing. I had enough trouble getting it from six feet down when I dropped it. I advise orange.

Also a microfiber cloth. I have taken my share of fuzzy pictures because of water drops on the lens. Best of luck on your camera research while recuperating. When I pay attention I get very nice pictures. Aziscoos Lake Sept 26-29 2013 104_5_tonemapped.jpg

Back