DB Neal worth restoring???

flatwatercliff

I came across a DB Neal Dover- Foxcroft...boat is stripped to the wood a bit of dry rot hear and there . The guy that ownes it wants 1500 for it as is????? what do you think???
Cliff
I can get photos as soon as i figure out how to post them.

Flatwater:

Search the forum for some information on Neal. I found one that was destined for a burn pile and it sparked some interest for me in the character that made it. Neal was kind of Maine's version of Davy Crockett. I had never heard of him at the time, but as of now I have come across probably 10 canoes and boats he built, another just a few weeks ago, so there are a few out there.

There is a thread about my canoe here:

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?2796-D-B-Neal-Dover-Foxcroft-Maine/page3&highlight=Neal

Some of his canoes have features that are reminiscent of bark canoes, like cane lashings, nicely carved thwarts and seats. They have nice ends, short carved decks, and some tumblehome too. Some have wooden spools for spacers on the seats etc. He worked in a spool mill for awhile.

You might consider what you what kind of paddling you want the canoe for. The hulls are quite rounded and usually have just one seat in the stern like old guide canoes. I am dying to paddle mine to see how it performs, but I am still fixing it. I have a couple of projects to finish this spring and then I hope to finish the Neal. After being a total wreck, it is getting close to the canvas stage.

I agree with Benson that $1,500 is optimistic.

Please post some pictures.

Fitz

Back