Curious to learn what this one is?

MGC

Scrapmaker
I relocated these pictures and am curious to learn what this is?
Not a boat I own or intend to buy.
One I decided not to buy several years ago.

The decks do not quite match up to any of the decks on Dan's site, at least not to my eye.

Attachments

• Thwart.jpg
    Thwart.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Deck.jpg
    Deck.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 263
It appears there may be a maker's mark on the far side of the thwart, juts beside the gunwale. If this is the case, that would be consistent with several Charles River builders. The ribs appear untapered as well. I don't recognize the deck, but would not be surprised (again) if it was a Charles River canoe.

Dan

I don't recognize the deck, but would not be surprised (again) if it was a Charles River canoe.

Dan

I had also assumed that it was a Charles River builder but was not sure which one.
You must have bionic eyes to see a thwart mark. I missed that even zoomed to the max. I guess half the battle is knowing what to look for and where. I have had virtually no experience with these Mass built canoes, a reason I opted not to buy this one.....

Thwart has the same shape and apparent flat underside as my JR Robertson . My canoe is apparently one of Robertson's livery canoes as it has his name burned into the flat uderside of both ends of each thwart along with a metal tag affixed to the bow coming.

Thwart has the same shape and apparent flat underside as my JR Robertson . My canoe is apparently one of Robertson's livery canoes as it has his name burned into the flat uderside of both ends of each thwart along with a metal tag affixed to the bow coming.

You can see the leading frame member from one seat in the lower part of the thwart picture. Can you also contrast that to your Robertson?
Decks? Are they similar?

The seat frames on mine are mahogany and it is a long deck model. Decks are also mahogany and are 40 inches long. Rail caps are mahogany. When I uncovered the canoe in storage to measure the decks I saw that my recollection of Robertson's branding of the thwarts at each end on the flat underside was incorrect. The brand is on the top side on the non rounded portion of the thwart, 2 inches inboard on each side of the closed gunnel. The thwart at the location of the brand is 2 3/4" wide. Hope this helps.

Back