Cloudy finish

Murray C

I just got Cedar strip canoe made by Micheals House of Canoes in Lowbank On, nice brass plaque on bow, canoe is in excellent condition.. It is cedar strip, with fiberglass on both sides.
One side is relatively clear but other is quite cloudy in many places. Can anyone tell me what a solution for this is please? I did experiment with a couple solvents and light sanding to no avail. I got brave and carefully sanded a spot with 50 grit down to mat and that spot then when wet came up good.

Any advice is appreciated.
20230806_135629.jpg

There are a few folks who are regulars on this forum who have a tremendous amount of experience with clear resin finishes. Most of the work I've done over the years has included coloring the resin so something like this would not show as it does here. To my eye it looks like whoever glassed that was working the resin as it was both running and curing. They did not get very nice coverage. Why it clouded, one of those experts may say. What I might be trying is sanding that out very carefully and then buffing it out to see what happens. I'd probably wet sand it and possibly orbital buff with a rubbing compound to see what happens.
Believe it or not, the sun can cause some crazy issues. That is a reason that folks who own strippers often apply a protectant over the top coat....varnish with uv filters. The varnish over a buffed surface might hide some of that.

Back