Chestnut Refurbishment Completed

Nick Dennis

WCHA UK
Over the winter here in the UK I have spend dark evenings in the garage refurbishing the Chestnut which I purchased at the start of December. I have converted it to a solo tripper. Structurally the canoe was good; I have simply cleaned it down rubbing the varnish and paint down gently, changed all the fittings and provided a new contoured yoke, cane seat and a thwart for strength where one seat was removed.

I completed the project in early February and managed to paddle her on my birthday the 18th. I used Epifanes yacht varnish and for the hull Epifanes yacht enamel in an off white colour. I am pleased with the end result and the canoe paddles beautifully. The canoe was always white or off white in colour and under the paint there were signs of some roundels at either end connected by a red stripe.

Here are some photos of the finished article. looking at the Chestnut catalogue I believe she is either a Playmate or a Fox. IMGP0689.jpg
IMGP0688.jpg
IMGP0707.jpg

Blott

Nice work! Your canoe is a Moonlight De-Luxe model from the early 1960's. It had a decoration of two red rings connected with a red line a couple of inches below the gunnels.

Dick Persson

Buckhorn Canoe Company
www.buckhorncanoes.com

It's only a 14 footer Dick so is it likely to be a Moonlight De-Luxe? It cane to the UK with its Canadian owner in 1962/63. It has brass stem bands whereas some had ali bands.
Nice work! Your canoe is a Moonlight De-Luxe model from the early 1960's. It had a decoration of two red rings connected with a red line a couple of inches below the gunnels.

Dick Persson

Buckhorn Canoe Company
www.buckhorncanoes.com

It's only a 14 footer Dick so is it likely to be a Moonlight De-Luxe? It cane to the UK with its Canadian owner in 1962/63. It has brass stem bands whereas some had ali bands.

Oops, I should have checked the photos more careful. It is more likely a Playmate.

Cheers
Dick

Back