Chestnut Design

Nick Dennis

WCHA UK
When I refurbished my Chestnut Playmate I painted her red and ivory. When rubbing down the paint, I found a pattern of a couple of roundels at each end connected by a straight line.

Has anyone got a picture of this Chestnut design so that I can replicate when I decide to repaint?

Many thanks from a UK bathed in spring sunshine for a change!!

Blott.

I may stand corrected but I don't believe Chestnut ever offered anything like that. It was most likely added by someone else after the canoe was purchased new.

I have seen it again, but now I can't find it to give the link, but the Moonlight WAS painted, by the factory, with a scheme using a colored roundel (3" or 4" in diameter) at each end of the canoe (red against white in the image I saw), connected by a line tangent to the tops of each roundel, running parallel to and a few inches below the gunwales, connecting them. It's similar to the image of the Moonlight in one of the links I gave, though the line is not visible there (I believe the line is lost in the glare from the white Moonlight). Perhaps the original buyer of your canoe asked the factory for a similar paint job on his Playmate? It DID offer many custom options. Otherwise maybe an early owner copied that very simple design onto his canoe? I will try to save the link for you when and if I run across it again. It seems that that must be what you have.

Update: The image of a Moonlight with said design clearly illustrated is on page 2 of the 1964 Chestnut catalog, depicted here: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/6721214

Last edited:
Back