Chestnut 7' model canoe

Michael Grace

Lifetime Member
A Chestnut 7'-long model canoe from the Russ & Karen Goldberger collection will be in the upcoming Guyette & Deeter Summer Decoy and Sporting Art Auction in Portsmouth, NH. With an estimate of $20,000 - 30,000 on it, perhaps it's time for folks to start checking for loose change under the couch cushions!

Somewhere along the way my wife and I started collecting decoys. The kinds of auctions we frequent seem to offer stuffed dead critters, snowshoes, fishing gear, canoes, boats, decoys, Tiffany lamps, and the odd original copy of the Declaration of Independance.
Collecting decoys seemed innocuous enough. A black duck here, a curlew there, a few mallards and next thing you know, you go from spending a few hundred dollars to several thousands.
I generally look for a few benchmark deeks to help myself understand the appraisers tendency.
From my limited experience, several of the G&D auction estimates appear to be quite optimistic. I do not know if that correlates to their estimate for the Chestnut?
This will be fun to watch in that there isn't any spare change stuffed away in any of our couches. If I can work out payment with Jack Russel hair, I may be able to bid.

I suspect that part of the high estimate is based on the sale of an Old Town model a few weeks ago that went for over $25K including the buyers premium. Pages 96 and 97 of the catalog at the link below have pictures and more details. This one will be fun to watch.

Benson

Back