Chestnut #5163

KAT

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Have a line on this canoe, is there much hope of at least getting an age on it? I understand that Chestnuts are more difficult to track than OT's. This is a 14' canoe.

Thanks
Karin

Actually, since I completed the Huron, my room mate likes it soo much she wants one of her own so she put an add up on Kijiji looking for old w/c canoes, particularly a Bastien Bros 14 footer and had this guy with this chestnut and another Bastien he kit-bashed into a square stern contact her. We go look on Tuesday at them, likely bring them home since we will have cash on hand. Which means sometime this weekend I need to fix up a pair of longer 2x4's for the roof rack to avoid an extra trip. She actually wants a Bastien to glass, not canvas but if we get the chestnut it will get canvas.

It will be nice to be able to work on something outdoors since I really don't want to use the chemicals in the basement anymore and she found a place in Ontario where we can order eastern white cedar.

There is no way to date Chestnute canoes. The later ones from roughly the late 60's to the company's closure in 1979 are kind of heavy and cruder than the earlier canoes. You will find such things as scarfed and screw joined outer gunwales. The ribs are sometimes kind of crude looking. Don't be surprised by the weight. Chestnuts are usually heavier than a lot of Maine Canoes. My 14 ft Playmate is 60+ pounds. Where as the 14'6" canoe I am just finishing with half ribs is about 45 lbs.

Back