Carleton 17926

Hi Dave--

Carleton 17926 is a 16 foot CS grade Carleton model canoe with red Western cedar planking, closed spruce gunwales, birch decks/thwarts/seats and a keel. No mention of sponsons on the record. It was painted dark (?) green (I recognize this guy's writing and that's his "D" even though it looks sorta like an "L") and shipped to YMCA Camp Northport on Long Island, NY on 7-2-1925. 84th B-day coming right up!

The scan of this record is attached below-- click on it to get a larger image. This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that those reading this will join or renew membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Kathy

Attachments

• Carleton 17926.jpg
    Carleton 17926.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 301
Hi Dave-- I'd love to be giving you that information, but Dell has sent me a new computer and it isn't giving me the information. I'll get it out eventually.

Kathy

Carleton 17626 is a 17 foot regular grade Carleton model canoe, finished between January 1923 and February 1925. It has red Western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, birch decks/thwarts/seat frames and a keel. No mention of sponsons. It was painted bright red and shipped on June 1, 1925 to some place I can't read well... Wilton, possibly MN but back in '25 they weren't saying "MN". So I will Google whether there's a Wilton in MN.

If this doesn't seem right, we can keep looking.

Kathy

Attachments

• carleton17626.jpg
    carleton17626.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 277
Minnesota

Wilton is a city in Beltrami County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 186 at the 2000 census.

Okay, it exists there, and that's probably where this canoe went, if it's the one in your shop!

It's coming to the shop in August. The photo shows sponsons and the owner says it's a sailing canoe, but I don't see a mast step. It has a carry thwart and closed gunwales. Could be Wilton, Maine
Here are the photos...

Attachments

• carleton1.jpg
    carleton1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 302
  • carleton2.jpg
    carleton2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Maybe you'll find the s/n is something else once you get the canoe. I can't imagine that sponsons would either be left off the build record or added later. And carry thwarts were commonly added to sponson canoes... which suggests this was done at the factory. So, we may need to try again!

Got the canoe and number is.........

17026-17 Carleton with sponTOONS.

Smoothin' it with Ferd out in the shop!
Dave

Dave - now that you have Ferdy there to help you read, we can give you the record :)

Carleton 17026 is a 17' CS gradewith spruce wales, birch seats, decks & thwarts, keel and sponsons. It was painted Dark Green and shipped to Milwaukee in May of 1923.

Say hello to Ferdy for me.

Attachments

• 17026CAR.gif
    17026CAR.gif
    44.1 KB · Views: 278
Back