Canvas

David Satter

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Ok. Lets say you want to use pre-shrunk and or treated canvas. instead of natural. Would like to hear some opinions of How do they pre-shrink it? and How do they treat it? any ideas?

David, I was also curious about how anti-mildew treatment was done these lead-free days, so the last time I ordered canvas from Rollin I asked. He mailed a copy of the MSD that comes with the canvas. Since it is not a product for human consumption, it does not have to tell you much, but reads, in part, "Textile fabric which has been coated with various chemicals, processed, heat set, and transformed into a non-hazardous coated fabric". The manufacturer is Excello Fabric Finishers, Inc., whose web site http://www.excellofabric.com/ I also looked at and did not learn much more. So if you find out anything, please post. Tom McCloud

ok, sounds good. so how does the pre-shrunk work then? does it shrink the canvas when it's applied? or is it a separate process?

I know wetting it shrinks it. Iv'e used both and never have a problem. I was wondering if you buy a large roll and they say it's preshrunk , how'ed they do it.

Wow , Interesting. They probably use some technique today that's similar . Except for Rollin, I think some of his is preshrunk. I don't think a lot of places sell preshrunk canoe weight canvas.

My understanding is that they only place canvas is still made is India. So they might follow similar techniques as show by that book.

The mildew treated canvas comes in about 1" to 1.5" narrower than the untreated 60" wide canvas. The treatment of the canvas at the factory obviously shrinks it a bit. It can still be shrunk a bit more if its wetted and heated with a heat gun or hot iron. There is certainly no need to shrink the treated canvas any more than it already is just for canvasing canoes. I've never had a problem with it shrinking once its on the boat and the canvas filled.
Rollin

Back