Canvas for OT rowing boat/skiff

ddewees

Woodworker
I have taken in a 16' Old Town skiff. (So far I've not seen a number, so don't know details of its origins, but if the deck decal is original it was probably built late 40's.) It needs new canvas. What weight should be used? I'm thinking something heavier than the usual #10 I use on canoes. Another thing, since giving up lead filler I've tried to use treated canvas as well as filler that has fungicide added, but I see that neither Bill Clements nor Rollin Thurlow stocks anything in the required 72" width that is both treated and heavier than #10. Do others have experience/guidance on this?
Thanks,
Don in Vermont

I've searched high and low for a canvas treatment. Most available treatments add water repellency, and would restrict penetration of filler. Here's my idea,.....Haven't tried this yet, but I just received some borate from Jamestown to treat the canvas with. It is water soluable, so it can be leached away. It's typically used for fungus, rot and decay prevention on wood. I've seen similar products available for log homes, decks, etc.
I plan to try to saturate the canvas with it prior to filling. I guess my theory is that once saturated, dried, filled, and painted that most of the protective borate would be encapsulated and remain even if wet..... That plus the fact that for the most part, we treat our wooden craft better than the in past, we pick and choose where and when we use them, ensure they dry out prior to storage and store them more carefully will ensure good canvas life.

I'll let you know in 40 years how it works....
Dave

Hi,

The Kirby Paint Co. still has white lead paste in their catalog. I mix my own filler, and add white lead to it when I can't get the treated canvas. I make sure I use gloves when I apply it, and do my first wet sand after a couple coats of paint to avoid breathing the dust, which is minimal anyway (given that I have done a good fill job). The WL is nothing resembling cheap, but it is a lot cheaper than having to replace canvas prematurely!

http://www.kirbypaint.com/index.php

Dave and Mark, thanks for the input. The borate idea is an interesting one, though I guess the question is, as you indicate, whether it can be made to stay put for any length of time in the canvas. Such products are used regularly in big wooden boat construction and restoration projects to head off rot, and I guess they are effective. The borates, of course, are designed to be friendly to the environment and human health, which is why many of us have shied away from white lead. I still have a gallon or two of white lead filler tucked away somewhere, but have joined the ranks of those who have decided not to use it. Mark, you are probably right that as builders and restorers we can protect ourselves from lead dust, and putting old canvas painted with lead paints and fillers into the landfill is probably not a big problem. My main worry is that in the future someone else who is not aware of the presence of the lead may be exposed by sanding it, and that in general it may get spread around where it can do damage. It sure does kill that fungus, though!

Back