Canoe Identification (New Hobby, Lots to Learn!)

DBW

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi all. New to these forums, and new to canoe restoration. It's been something I've been thinking/reading about for the past couple of years. I finally picked up a canoe from a neighbourhood yard sale yesterday that I hope to get into over the next year(or so :). I've been trying to identify it online, but it has no obvious markers/identification so I thought I'd ask the folks that know! The previous owner apparently saved it from going to the dump, but that's about all he could tell me. (While I was negotiating for it, it went from being 50 years, to 75 years to 80... ;) From my first survey and limited knowledge it needs at least 4 ribs replaced, one or two planks, both gunwales, tumblehome needs attention, stem bands need replacing/repairing, removing of poor fibreglass job and restored to canvas.

Anyway I'd love to know more about it, if anybody has any thoughts on the age, manufacturer, or what else needs attention. See pictures here: https://goo.gl/photos/4bGPWERbc1S7KjCR6

It is 16'10 stem tip to stem tip, +/-17'6 from outside stem band to stem band, +/- 39" wide (tumblehome appears to need some attention so this might not be accurate). +/-24" high at stem, +/-16" high @ centre. Not sure if more information is required, if so let me know. Appreciate any information that could be offered!

Cheers,

Dan

Pictures are a huge help in identifying anything... Stem profile, decks, thwarts, ribs, seats... Essentially, everything.

Thanks Paul, I posted a link to some pictures, not sure if it didn't show up properly? Anyways to save on confusion here's the photos:
Overview
20160306_164827_HDR.jpg20160307_101000_HDR.jpg20160307_101038_HDR.jpg

Decks
20160307_101050_HDR.jpg20160307_101057_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20160307_101229_HDR.jpg
    20160307_101229_HDR.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 356
My guess is a Canadian builder or home made. The stem / rail / deck junction at the tip doesn't look like any commercial builder that I am familiar with. Good luck with the restoration,

Benson

Actually it could be a Chestnut of some sort. The deck tip area obviously is a really poorly done repair. Are there any numbers on the stem? Numbers there would not identify the model of canoe but just they’re being there at all would tend to point to Chestnut. The carry thwarts (by the decks) don’t look original, but the other three thwarts look Chestnut-ish.

It looks like the sides have exaggerated flair (not tumblehome); 39 inch width is a bit extreme; possibly due to distortion caused by extra wide deck.

And about that keel. What going with it? Did you reattach the keel after stripping the canvas? Otherwise the keel appears to be a case of inept repairs again.

Actually it could be a Chestnut of some sort. The deck tip area obviously is a really poorly done repair. Are there any numbers on the stem? Numbers there would not identify the model of canoe but just they’re being there at all would tend to point to Chestnut. The carry thwarts (by the decks) don’t look original, but the other three thwarts look Chestnut-ish.

It looks like the sides have exaggerated flair (not tumblehome); 39 inch width is a bit extreme; possibly due to distortion caused by extra wide deck.

And about that keel. What going with it? Did you reattach the keel after stripping the canvas? Otherwise the keel appears to be a case of inept repairs again.

Thanks Larry!

There are no numbers on the stem, or any other identification markers that I can see of any sort. Good to know that the lack of stem markings "could" point to it being a Chestnut.

Re: the sides - I was wondering if they were flared or if it was just a deterioration of the hull shape. If flared the amount of flare does not appear to be symmetrical, although I haven't done any measuring.

Re: the keel - no I have not reattached it. The pictures show the canoe in the condition I got it in; it is covered in a flaking fibreglass coat. I will remove the fibreglass and restore it to canvas (at least I presume it had canvas at one point in its life.) I would also prefer not to reinstall the keel as I dislike the look and feel of a keel on a canoe, unless the canoe really requires it structurally.

Benson has it, almost certainly a Tremblay thats had some modifications, including the aforementioned fiberglass.

How’s the guy going to learn his canoe identification if you tell him right off the bat what kind of canoe he’s got? You need to start him out on some red herrings, like Chestnut. Then, once he wades through all the Chestnut canoes it’s not, he’ll know what Chestnut canoes look like. Then lead him onto Gerrish. He’ll learn those. And so on.

Point taken - varnish appears to be similar to what Rushton used, and cedar, if Virginia cedar, would point to a Charles River builder. But we need more info.

Back