Can anyone identify this canoe? Is it a Chestnut?

Old_Paddler

Canoe nut
I picked up a canoe that was listed as a "possible Kennebec," but determined that it was not.
The family I got it from stated that their Grandfather had it in the early 40's, but he could have bought it when he came back from WWI.

Based on what I've found, I believe this may be an early Chestnut, but I'm somewhat guessing.

Canoe is 15' long, 36.5" wide to outside of gunwales at the thwart, has tumblehome and very minor rocker.
It will need both inwales and at least 5 ribs and some planking replaced, but is in otherwise solid condition.
Outwales and decks are in good condition.

No serial number can be found.

It was covered in fiberglass in the 1960's but almost all of it peeled off quickly without use of heat.
My wife was surprised by the strong cedar scent that the wood gave off.
20160824 (3).jpg
20160824 (12).jpg
20160824 (7).jpg
20160824 (19).jpg
20160824 (17).jpg
20160824 (14).jpg

Let me know if any additional images or measurements will help with identification.

thanks,
Russ

Last edited:
Dick,
It is very likely they ARE 1/4", I am currently in the process of restoring an Old Town 15' "50 lb" which has 1/4" ribs.
I took a scrap and compared it to the thickness of the rib in the Chestnut and it is the same thickness.

According to Dragonfly, the Bob's Special came out in 1956 but they don't date the Bob - was the model made before 1921?
Fifty-Pound Canoes
Bobs (1st Grade) 15 x 37½ x 12
Bantam (2nd Grade) 15 x 37 x 12 (1956)
Bobs Special (1956) 15 x 37 x 12½ (1967)

The 12" depth looks about right.

After fiberglass removal the canoe is very light - comparable to the 50 lb.

thanks,
Russ

Scraped some of the paint off the bow deck to see if I found a decal.

Found the ghost of the Chestnut decal.
decal.jpg

Also saw posts that Chestnut sometimes used the heart shaped deck after 20's and another post with early and later decals.
Now thinking the 1940 date the family thought might be correct.
decal.jpg

Last edited:
I have decided that I should sell the canoe, it is too nice for an amateur like me to screw up - plus I already have two pre-WWII 15' light weight wood canoes.

I removed the bulk of the paint, and will put it on the rack in my garage pending sale.
Listed in the WCHA classifieds.

for pictures:
https://goo.gl/photos/omdXuZPRebRGK7kP8

Last edited:
Back