Build record request

rtg

We have an Old Town which has been in the family for 80 to 90 years. The interior has been re-varnished a couple of times over the years, before anyone knew the significance of the serial number, which is now very faint. I requested the build record from Old Town for #112808, but the record they sent showed the canoe as maroon. As far back as my dad can recall, it has been green. Would someone mind checking #112308, in case we are misreading the number.
--Roger, Albany, NY

Roger: The Old Town canoe with serial number 112308 is a 17 foot long, CS grade, HW model with open spruce gunwales, birch decks, seats and thwarts and a keel. The canoe was built between February and June 1933. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It was shipped on July 10, 1933 to an A.M. Napier in Ausable Forks, New York. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

These scans were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

- Al

Attachments

• 112308.GIF
    112308.GIF
    51.7 KB · Views: 284
Deciphering #112308

I've finally taken a moment to look at the build card you sent me. A couple of questions: After "Planking", what does W.C. mean? The color of the canoe is green, but after "Color" on the build card it looks like something else is written. Also, after "Keel" and "Railed", is it the name of the person who complete the task? (Build card #112308)

W.C. is Western (red) Cedar. Color is DGreen (Dark Green), and yes, those are the fellows who signed off on the task (Grant and Chaloux).

Thanks & Paint?

Thanks again.
Another question: Is it possible to get the original Dark Green color paint to repaint the canoe? Does Old town carry it?

Roger-- You may also want to match up other factors in the build record with the actual canoe, such as length, whether it has open gunwales and the wood species of the trim. Does 1933 coincide with how long your dad remembers the canoe being in the family? Does shipping to New York seem reasonable?

When possible, we like to find the right record to go with the canoe. Feel free to post pictures of the canoe and the serial number if facts of this build record don't fit or you need confirmation of anything. You might also look at the different deck types on Dan's dragonfly site-- go to www.dragonflycanoe.com/id/ and scroll to Old Town on the left.

Nice to have a canoe with family history!

Kathy

Kathryn

Kathryn-- Yes it is great to have a canoe withe family history. The "To on the build card is my great-great uncle!! Amazing!!

Thanks again.
Another question: Is it possible to get the original Dark Green color paint to repaint the canoe? Does Old town carry it?

It does not appear that Old Town is selling paints any more. They simply purchased marine enamels from other suppliers so the exact shades did vary over the years. I would encourage you to paint it with a color that you like since no one will probably ever know what it really looked like originally. You may find original paint under the rails or some other place that was never exposed to the sun to help if you are lucky. Paints have been a popular topic here with suggestions of everything from Kirby's to tractor paint. Any good marine enamel will probably work fine. Canoes with a family history are always particularly special. Please keep us posted as your restoration progresses,

Benson

Back