bowdeck stuff

garyh

garyh
Am starting new bowdeck for my Canadian Canoe. First, would like to add slight crown (1/8th or so) but haven't figured out how to bend after cutting without affecting fit. Do I need to crown first before cutting out? Or use overwide stock and spokehave crown in? Original deck wasn't crowned but I really like the look of ones I've seen on other canoes and would like to try.
Also have new decal for deck coming- when should I apply- pre or post varnish or somewhere in between? Advice appreciated
Thanks
gary

Bend first, trim to perimeter shape using exsisting deck as a pattern, fit proud to the gunwales(start out with thicker stock), mark the sides of the deck and take back off the canoe. Rough in the shape with a spoke shave and screw back on the canoe, or keep it on the canoe if you are careful, then sand to fit. Start out with a bigger pc of wood than you need for trimming the perimeter as well as the thickness for the crown.

lay down a coat or two of varnish, make sure its smooth and apply your decal, then you can trap it under subsequent coats. you will also loose the raised edges as the varnish builds up and you fine sand between coats.

Back