Bookshelves? no, but what is it?

Tim C

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I obtained this canoe in central Wisconsin (Rosholt). The gentleman thought it was made in Waupaca, WI. It was destined for bookshelves, but he ran out of room and never got around to it. It has been fiberglassed, is 13.5' long, 35" beam width and 14" depth. No identifying plates or serial numbers. Anybody have an idea?

Thanks
DSCN1800.jpgDSCN1798.jpgDSCN1799.jpgDSCN1801.jpgDSCN1797.jpg

Hi,

I was about to post the suggestion that it could be a Thompson based on the shape of the deck and no taper on the ribs, does it have a metal bracket under the deck going from gunnel to gunnel? that would be a positive for Thompson, but:

The next thing I noticed was the planking pattern does not fit that of a Thompson. It's hard to see in the pictures, but it does not look like the typical plank pattern of a Thompson.

Still better used as a canoe than a book case.

Paul

The seat , if original, is conspicuous, too.....Not sure who used that weave.
Cute little canoe!
Dave
Boulder Junction, WI

I have had limited exposure, but that doesn't look very Tompsonish to me,
nothing looks right, but mostly, every T I've seen has the tops of the ribs chamfered.

I was going to guess Canadian (it just looks so plan), but I know even less about them. :)

Dan

bookshelves? no, but whatis it?

Hello,
Just Thought I would add that I worked On a Shell
Lake that had a steel rod under the decks thru the inwales.

Later Fred

Fred,
Is that a positive ID with some sort of documentation? Kathy and I have one that we are still trying to figure out. It too had a rod under the decks [now gone]. The decks both have dados that are 9/16" wide and about 3/8" deep.
Denis :confused:

bookshelves? no, but whatis it?

Sorry Denis, but I'm sure I know a lot less about wooden canoes then most members. The Shell Lake was the third boat I ever worked on, and I'm just into my forth project now. Maybe someone else knows how many canoes had this feature and will jump in.
Later, Fred

Back