BN Morris?? #2073

HarryO

Hi folks. I am starting a restoration on a canoe that is in very bad shape. More of a challenge than a restoration. It has a small oval tag on the inwale with 2073 stamped on it. Gunwales are closed. I think it is a morris. Any Ideas??? Thanks Harry

According to most thinking about the age of Morris canoes, a serial number like yours probably means the canoe was built in or around 1903. An oval serial number tag on the inwale is one diagnostic characteristic of a Morris; others would be splayed stem ends, riveted bang plates, and closed gunwales. Mahogany seats, thwarts, and decks are also characteristic, as is the shape of those items. The overall lines of a Morris canoe are also characteristic.

Photos would help confirm the identity -- and beyond that, we all love to see pictures of canoes -- old, new, in need of restoration. Indeed, pictures of canoes in need of restoration are very useful to those of us (like me) who also have old Morris canoes in need of repair/restoration, because we can often learn about how our canoes should look when done. And if you have questions about how to approach a restoration problem with your boat, pictures are usually necessary before anything useful can be said.

And welcome to the WCHA -- lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here. You should consider getting in touch with our Norumbega chapter, most of whose members are near you in eastern Massachusetts. There are some very knowledgeable and experienced canoe restorers in the group, and they have a good chapter newsletter -- contact information can be found on our home page.

Greg

Morris number 1876 shipped 06-06-1903, so as Greg suggested, yours possibly dates from that year. The Morris record books have not as yet been unearthed (but there is always hope).

Our Morris database has over 200 known Morris-built canoes in it, and what we think we know comes from these canoes. Your canoe probably has two pairs of cant ribs in each end, as opposed to three pairs (which seems to be a change that happened c.1905). Cant ribs are those "half ribs" that are under the decks-- they are canted into the stem. The splay of the stem touches the first full rib and the cant ribs are behind that. If you can verify how many pairs you have there, I can add this information. Also, length of your canoe and if possible some pictures, as Greg suggested.

You may want to use the "search" function and type in "Morris" to find many exciting discussions. And please feel free to ask questions... such as, "will the Morris be the topic in any upcoming WCHA Assembly?" to which the answer is "yes, in 2015... so you have time to get your canoe in order and take it to the Assembly and show it off to those who will clap for you" (otherwise we cheer here in the Forums).

Welcome!
Kathy

IMG_0045.jpgIMG_0048.jpgIMG_0050.jpgHi everyone From what you have said I think it is a Morris. The seats and thwarts are Mahogany. It has two sets of cant ribs under the deck, and the third rib does touch the stem. Will try to post some pictures. Thanks for your input and help HarryIMG_0047.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Harry-- Yes indeed, your canoe is a Morris. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing this information. Several of the folks who inhabit these Forums on a regular basis have intimate knowledge re the restoration of these great boats, so if you have questions, please post them... and we love pictures of on-going restoration projects... and launchings. It can help to have a cheering squad!

Kathy

Harry --

Your Morris may not be in great shape, but it is better than some (and it has only canvas, not fiberglass, to remove)

sm cr 100_1783.jpg ssm 100_1915.jpg ssm 100_1924.jpg ssm 100_1769.jpg ssm 100_1788.jpg

While I do have the original seats (which I have recaned and refinished after rebuilding one of them), two of the three thwarts, and the floor rack, I have no outwales or cap rails, and just a couple of fragments of the inwales and keel. Several ribs need replacing, and a bit of planking also.

But I hope to have Morris 6466 done in time for Assembly 2015 -- bring 2073 restored, and we can compare notes.

Greg

Back