Blisters

fred capenos

Canoe Pilot
I just finished stripping a 16 ft Otca. The planking on this canoe is very tight, unlike the H W that I just completed. As tight as the planking is, a lot of stripper leaked through to the outside. I started thinking about the amount of stripper that must be trapped between the planks. then I removed a section of planking that was broken and saw all the stripper that had been blasted under the ribs from the hose water pressure.

I wonder if this residue could lie dormant and then be rejuvenated later when the canoe gets wet on the inside, causing vapors to penetrate the canvas and filler and attacking the paint. The question would be, do blisters occur on new boats that have never been exposed to stripper or any other caustic substance that could be trapped under the ribs?

Fred

Yes.

I think that it has to do with varnish that wicks through the planking seams. That is why I always varnish prior to canvassing now, and haven't seen itsince I started working this way.

But when it does occur, leaving it for awhile, they often go away, and what is left dries hard and can be easily sanded off for painting.

It can be a real PITA!

Thanks for the reply Douglas,

I also varnish before canvasing, and I have yet to see any blisters in any of my paint. I guess the key word would be "yet". I don't know if any of the canoes that i've done have ever been soaked from the inside. (If that is a common connection.)

Fred

Back