Birchbark Canoe - Farnsworth Museum, Rockland, Maine

Greg Nolan

enthusiast
A beautiful birchbark canoe built by David Moses Bridges in 2006 is currently on display at the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland, Maine.

IMG_E6843 s.jpg

IMG_E6844 s.jpg

IMG_E7250.JPG

IMG_E7254 s.jpg

IMG_E7259 s.jpg

The Farnsworth Art Museum has an excellent collection -- wide ranging, with a special focus on artists with a connection to Maine – including, in addition to the three generations of Wyeths, such artist as Edward Hopper, Robert Indiana, Bernice Abbott, Louise Nevelson, Marsden Hartley, Alex Kent. Deborah and I have been members for many years. We often make the 2+ hour drive down from Dover-Foxcroft to Rockland to visit the museum.

The canoe was commissioned by the well-known artist Andrew Wyeth and was built at Wythe’s place on the 450-acre Allen Island in Muscongous Bay, at the time owned by Betsy Wyeth, Andrew’s wife.

Andrew’s interest in birchbark canoes undoubtedly was influenced by his father, the well-known artist and illustrator N. C. Wyeth, who often feathered birchbarks in his work and who actually kept a birchbark canoe in his studio.

Wyeth and Bridges became friends during the construction of the canoe, and Wyeth painted Bridges’ portrait.

david-by-andrew-wyeth.jpg

The canoe was put on display this past summer – I don’t know how long it will remain on display. If you are anywhere near, it is worth the trip.

Greg

I'm a long time admirer of Wyeth's work. I live quite close to the Wyeth family homes here in Chadds Ford, PA. Many of his works feature properties like Kuerner's farm within a few miles of his home and studio. I have several of Andrew Wyeth's prints in my home so I enjoy his talent every day. I had no idea of his interest in birchbark canoes, though it's not surprising he would appreciate the talent of another artists work, regardless of the medium; especially the timeless aesthetic beauty of the canoe shape.

Thanks for posting this. The museum would make a pleasant day trip while visiting our family's old lakefront property on Biscay Pond, Damariscotta, ME

Saw the Helga exhibit years ago in Detroit. Sometimes I forget the historical and cultural significance of the canoe, especially the bark canoe.
s

Back