Beware the Ebay Scams, Folks

Dan Miller

cranky canoeist
Staff member
Watch the Ebay scams, folks. For example, as I write this, there is a Rice Lake Herald canoe listed that is bogus (last I knew the owner had not sold it and the canoe is still in Ontario). There was a bogus Adirondack guideboat last week. Don't take your wallet out until you are sure its the real deal...

Thanks Dan. I was the leading bidder on that with a rather large bid amount. It seemed like a really sweet deal, and I had an e mail out to the "owner" asking a couple of questions. I just canceled my bid. I am glad I checked the board today!

Mark

Hey! That's my boat!

Dan, and all,
The bogus Adirondack Guide Boat is mine. Actually the ad was bogus, the boat is real. I ran a real auction for my boat in December, at a starting price of $7,500. I had some interest, but it didn't sell. I guess an Adirondack Guide Boat was not on anybody's holiday shopping list.
Somebody evidently thought they would sell my boat for me without actually having possession of it, or having my permission. Quit nice of them, don't you think? The last time I looked the boat is still in my garage.
The scammer stole my ad. He used my exact description and included photos of my boat, me, and my kids in the bogus ad. The starting price was listed at $0.10, with no reserve. They listed the boat as being in Alabama.
Anyway, as soon as I saw the bogus ad, I reported it to eBay. They removed the item within 24 hours. Soon after that another ad was posted. This time the boat was in California. I checked, the boat is still in my garage.
I'll keep checking to see if the bogus ad surfaces again.
Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, then it's probably a scam.
Regards
Joe

Back