bending gunwales question....

Bend them till they break then you know how far is too far. :D
Too steep to bend on the boat? Inners or outers? Spruce, right?

Hi Chris,

I have found that my best results have been to bend on a jig and 24 hours later or so I remove from the jig and clamp to the canoe. You will be able to unbend or add bend where necessary.

Good luck,

Paul

This worked.

Just did inwales on the project boat. Replaced the cracked spruce with ash at 7/8 square.

First I soaked them for 2 1/2 days in a eavestrough tank then clamped them up under the existing inwales and left them to dry for 8 days. There was some spring back still but they took the curves really well and there were no issues installing them.

Inwalesclamped.jpg

Hi KAT,

That process works OK for a guide style canoe or your typical Canadian built all wood or wood/canvas, but so sure you could do it that way with success on the curve of something like a OT Charles River gunnel like the one attached.

Attachments

• canoe stem 005-s.JPG
    canoe stem 005-s.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 182
Ok, I see your point, or, curve. I imagine that would require a good jig and alot of steam to do. How do the harder woods like ash work on something like that?

I over bent them a bit, we'll see. Paul, couldn't clamp them to the existing gunwales, someone did a previous restore and made the last foot or so a different shear in the bow and stern. Corrections to follow, but what do you expect for a 102 year old canoe? Several ribs were replaced poorly as well, so I have to true up the hull with battens as well.

Back