Beginner..

jiffyloose

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I would like to start off by saying GREAT FORUM. I just acquired a wooden canoe minus the canvas. The ends are in rough shape but I think it would make a good project. I will take some picts to try and identify what I have been given.

The inside is totally painted...:( What can I do ? where do I start?

Welcome

Welcome--- you're already off to a good start by announcing your arrival at this place!

If you don't already have a copy of Stelmok and Thurlow's book, you may want to take a look at it-- at a library or perhaps the WCHA store:

http://woodencanoe.org/catalog/prod...d=418&osCsid=7b2de68d06596f83a805558a4b0f729a

Whether or not to strip the painted interior would be up to you. We have one with a painted interior that we'll probably keep that way, and it'll be the canoe the dog can ride in without worrying about his toenails... but if we didn't have another canoe with a gorgeous wood interior to paddle, I might get out the Zip Strip.

Looking forward to your pictures--
Kathy

Thanks for the welcome! This is a father / son project...I am the son! My dad has bought the book. I am thinking the canoe is an Old Town HW...I will post pics soon as I get the canoe. It is in a neighbors basement! I think we will leave the inside painted.....I have build a kayak in the past CLC 17LT..so this should be a fun project.

serial number?

Have you posted the serial number of your canoe under "serial number search"? The serial number of an Old Town is found on the inside stem of the canoe at each end (on the floor, just beyond the decks). Paint may have filled the numbers, so you might have to scrape or even use some stripper to find them.

Old Town is one of only three canoe companies where the serial number can be connected to the original build record. You can not only find out if you're right about it being an HW, but dates of various stages of construction, original color, and where it originally was sent.

Very cool that this is a father-son project!

its up to you, but..

If you can get it outside, try to strip a portion of it. You can strip and hose off the junk. Might go easier than you think. Just try a portion and see if its something you want to go after. I think youll be happier if its natural wood.:confused: :eek:

My dad found my old town in the 70's w/ the interior darkened w/ stain varnish after years of use by a camp. After seeing one w/ out the dark black interior, I realized that the original wood was truly beautiful and worthy of being exposed again. I managed to keep it in a dry place for 15 years while life & children stood in the way. This web site was my source of information when I finally did get started on removing the old interior stains...

Take yours to a furniture stripper tank while the canvas is off and get it stripped out. You'll be glad you did...

B N Morris

Denis and Kathryn,
This canoe has open gunwales. The seats and thwarts are installed just as Old Town did. But it has sloted screws that just don't look right to me. Also, the lettering on the bow combing is located as your thumb nail shows but has all the other words I printed.last. Just thought you should know.

reply to Fred

Thanks, Fred. Will add this information to what we have... small details can put a whole new spin on what we think we know. Open gunwales cost extra money-- even though closed gunwales on a Morris were more complex, with the pocketed ribs. Your canoe was obviously a "spare-no-expense" boat! Do you know anything of its history?

Kathy

Morris slotted screws

Fred,
Open gunnel Morris canoe's used round head slotted brass screws
to fasten the seats and thwarts to the gunnels. They don't look great
but they are proper.
later Dave

Back