B.N. Morris 14955

bnclark

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I just acquired this 18 ft Morris canoe that will need restoration. What details will tell me more about what type it is and its year of manufacture?

Please offer more information on your canoe. I am keeping a database of known Morris canoes on behalf of the WCHA. The canoes, and some additional research, have provided us with some information-- such as a guideline for determining the possible year of construction. Morris 14955 possibly dates to 1917. I'd like to add your canoe's deck style and any other interesting details, such as presence of open gunwales, decal etc. Pictures help a great deal.

There are currently about 350 Morris canoes in the database.

You might be interested in the book on the Morris: http://store.wcha.org/The-Morris-Canoe-Legacy-of-an-American-Family.html

Thanks,
Kathy

Sorry about the delay responding. Benson, thanks for your direction. I am guessing it is a Model B75.

Kathy, it is 18 feet long and 36 inches wide. It has the concave decks. I am assuming it has closed gunwales as the inner gunwale is notched to accept the ribs. the outer gunwale is missing. The gunwale is of spruce and tapers from the center to the bow and stern. The seat (the front one is missing the original) is mahogany as are the thwarts. The decks seem to be cedar. I did not find a decal. Where would it be?

I know some of the history of this canoe. My father and three of his friends bought it from a person in Columbia, Pa in 1952. He and his friends re canvassed it (in one of the guy's apartment living room and yes, he was married) with canvas used in manufacture of flooring. He said is was 28 oz canvas which I think is much heavier than typical. They used the canoe until about 1963 when one of the guys moved to Ohio and took it with him. Later another one of the partners had and unfortunately stored it upside down outside without a cover. The top of the bow and stern are gone as are the centers of the gunwales. It was then recovered by another one of the partners with a combination of fiberglass & epoxy with an interesting floor coating top coat. He used it for years for fishing and then stored it in the rafters of his cabin porch where I found it. My Dad said he never would have encouraged me to get it when he saw if for the first time in 50 years.

Since I got it home, I have stripped about 40 lbs off the outside. There are some holes in some planking and some will need replacing below the bulwark, the tips of some ribs will need new wood scarfed on and the bulwarks will need replacing. I need to document its condition so I have reasonably accurate measurements for reconstruction. I will be checking in for measurements of pieces that are gone.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 198
Back