Anyone Here Buy the Duluth Morris?

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
Wondering if anyone here bought the "buy it now $800" Morris located in Duluth, MN, that was listed as a CS grade HW on eBay. My guess is that once the seller posted the picture of the serial number plate, someone wise to Morris canoes jumped on it.

Just wanted to congratulate whoever bought the canoe, and let you know that if our house in the Upper Peninsula near Marquette is on your path when you collect it, please stop in... and stay over, if that's convenient.

I'd also be interested in knowing more about the canoe, as the pictures posted by the seller don't say much and I don't trust his statement that the canoe is 18' because he's maybe getting that number off an Old Town build record.

The Morris database grows...

Kathy

I will answer my own question...

The Morris that was on eBay (listed as an Old Town HW from 1909) didn't sell. The seller was the object of one of those scams, where someone "overseas" wanted him to deposit money somewhere... we've discussed this sort of scammage in these forums.

An $800 1909 Morris is listed on the Duluth Craigslist tonight, as well.

I'm not following, Kathy - the seller is a scammer, or is real but their account was hacked? :confused:

That's the one...

As for the scamming-- folks selling on eBay and elsewhere are sometimes asked by a "buyer" living outside North America to engage in some sort of monetary transaction before the item can be purchased. The canoe-seller isn't the scammer, but he ended the eBay auction because he thought the canoe had sold.

The craigslist ad is the same ad that appeared on eBay... details in the ad are for the Old Town he thought he had, so nobody should get excited thinking this Morris comes with any paperwork.

This canoe may not have iron bangplates, ash gunwales and spruce seats (as stated in the ad) either... my guess is spruce gunwales and mahogany decks/thwarts/seat frames. The seat frames are a lovely shade of green with fashionable leather-oid inserts, but my guess is that the holes are there for re-caning.

I asked the seller if the canoe truly was 18 feet long, because he was working from details on an Old Town build record (that actually was the wrong record for this serial number, even if the canoe was an Old Town). He insists the canoe is an 18 footer. If I was buying the canoe, I'd ask him to measure and tell him how I'd like that done.

I don't have any interest in this canoe other than hoping it gets a good home and is properly cared for and enjoyed. Denis and I are a mere 5 hours from Duluth and if we can help a WCHA buyer in any way, let us know.

Kathy

For what it's worth, I'm also about 2 hours south of Duluth, and if any relevant services can be offered, I will assist the best I am able.

I have no interest in the Morris canoe, but the exterior certainly looks like fiberglass to me. ( it's in much better condition that the junk that usually ends up here.)

Seller told me he "isn't sure" if it's fiberglass. Said the canoe was "redone in the '80s" (nice job on the seats).

Back