Anyone from the LaCrosse WI area that can provide a novice some restoration advice?

Goldenbadger

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello, I'm working on restoring an old Shell Lake canoe that was given to me as a gift. I've never restored a canoe before and have next to zero woodworking experience. I live near LaCrosse, WI and I'm wondering if there are any members near me that are experienced in canoe restoration. So far, I have the fiberglass removed and I'm painstakingly removing resin. When I get to the woodwork I'm going to need lots of advice. I think the old canoe will need quite a bit of woodwork. There are several holes and some rotten wood.

Someone will jump in with their hand in the air soon... but the weather is good and bugs are down and they are out paddling. You have the advantage of not only some terrific Wisconsin folks but near-by Minnesota people as well. If you don't already have a copy of "The Wood and Canvas Canoe" by Stelmok and Thurlow, that's a good place to start (available in the WCHA Store, libraries, etc.). Welcome to the fold!

Kathy

I did order the Stelmok and Thurlow book from this site. What an awesome resource. I'm still waiting to hear from someone in my corner of the world here on the Mississippi.

Golden,

You're too far south. :)
I checked the MN chapter list and most are in the Cities or farther North.
There might be a couple folks in Rochester but I don't know if they are active.

I don't know about the southern Wis Chapter.

With that said, read the book twice and then pick one thing to fix.
I usually like to get the wood bare and then progress in the same order as W/C are made when new, ie, rails, stems and decks 1st, then ribs, then planking, and finish.

Remember it's just wood, and if you make a mistake, try it again.
On my 1st canoe I replaced some ribs 3 times before I got it right.

Dan

Thank you. I have read parts of the book several times. Right now I'm waiting for my new tack puller to arrive in the mail. Then I will attack the planks at the bow and stern to get at the stems.

Back