Antique Log Cabins

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
Those who work on wooden canoes sometimes work on other wooden stuff too... and this is true of Denis Kallery. Ten years ago, he dis-assembled and moved the house we share and has been working on it ever since (one of those never-ending projects!).

Over a year ago, Denis became involved in a project for the new History Museum in Marquette. I began making a video then, using some older pictures too. Denis already knew of these two old cabins and wanted to salvage them.

So...here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBpB3TxwZrc

Kathy

You guys are so Cool, I've always had a soft spot for log houses. in the past few years I've had the pleasure of meeting two real craftsmen. Denis Kalery and Walter Walker. Thanks for sharing. Fred

There will eventually be a Native American exhibit next to the log cabins, with a wigwam and authentic old bark canoe.

(I think he's a genius too...)

Is it genius, or is it art... or is it both?

I certainly couldn't answer that one, but I can tell you it's beautiful!

It seems to me that much of what's behind what Denis does... and what any of the folks who build or restore canoes do... begins with a respect for what previous generations of people created and used. Creative minds can look at these things that belonged to people from a different age, and know what it takes to bring them back to life. I think anyone who does this must feel they are in touch with those who originally built what is being restored or replicated. Kind of like a Vulcan mind-meld...

So cool - excellent craftsmanship, Denis.
And Kathy, as always, you did a wonderful job of sharing all that effort (and the beautiful results) with everyone!

Back