Another Wisconsin UFO, comments

workingbadger

Mad Badger
In Memoriam
A friend asked me about their family canoe. I found it quite interesting. From what I can tell: no serial or plate, bump rails, no decks, hasp on deck, square stem, no diamond head bolts, hand thwarts.

Attachments

• nice lines.JPG
    nice lines.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 283
  • help top view.jpg
    help top view.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 284
  • help thwarts 2.jpg
    help thwarts 2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 288
  • help stem best.jpg
    help stem best.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 295
  • help end.jpg
    help end.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 294
  • help side outers.jpg
    help side outers.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 277
Help Identify this forsaken UFO

Come on folks, venture a couple guesses.... I wish it had decks, but no. The hasp on the bow makes me think that at one time it was a livery craft. But the lines are too nice. Makes me think of Belle Island gatherings.. Help me out folks.

Attachments

• help 3 outer.jpg
    help 3 outer.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 233
  • Deck hasp.JPG
    Deck hasp.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 253
  • help top view.jpg
    help top view.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 247
  • help 2.jpg
    help 2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 245
  • help end hand thwart.jpg
    help end hand thwart.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 240
  • help thwarts.jpg
    help thwarts.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
A skilled person's garage-built canoe, whilst experimenting with lighter weight (thinner ribs, etc)?

Disclaimer: I wouldn't have any idea, just throwing out a wild idea.

I was thinking the thin outwales mentioned, the recessed hardware in the inwales, and the thin rib ends mean that it was originally closed gunwale. Are there any nail holes in the top of the inwales?

I haven't seen it in person. I wondered if it ever had decks. But the lines are so nice, it is hard to imagine that it didn't originally have decks. But, who knows.

I'll check for nail holes when I get home.

OK, no nail holes on top of the inners. I'm thinking that it might be a Seliga or a Rehbein, or even a E.M. White, could it be a Rushton? Come on folks, give a couple guesses?

WB,

Without better images I don't have any guesses, but, being a bit familiar with both Seligas and Rehbeins, I'm reasonably confident it's not one of either.

I'd also comment that in the past in the Wis and MN region, there were a lot of small shops making canoes, most I/we? have never heard of.

A few years ago, I looked at a canoe in the Ely area that while, very well made and very nice lines, I couldn't identify and had no idea who made it. This canoe was in very nice condition and on maybe it's 3rd owner, who had had it many years.

Dan

Yeah, I know it isn't any of those big names. I figured some of you would see the names and take a look, and offer some possibilities. I can say that it was bought used in the 30's in southeast Minnesota. Any guesses folks? I just love the lines. Unfortunately, it is a family heirloom and not on the market.

More photos and info. Previous owner lived near Winona, Minnesota in the 1930's. It is 15'. Here are close ups of the deck area.

Attachments

• top deck hasp 1.jpg
    top deck hasp 1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 244
  • top deck 2.jpg
    top deck 2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 243
  • stem close up.jpg
    stem close up.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 235
Back