Another large canoe looking for a home

Dan Lindberg

Ex Wood Hoarder
Reading Fitz's post reminded me....

Anybody interested in a (best guess) 22 ft Chestnut Ogilvy? The inside is in good condition, didn't see any broken wood, fair to good varnish. Looks like a rebuild some years ago. Paint is pealling on the canvas and there are a couple rips in it. Possibly could be repaired/repainted for a few more years service.

I've been approached to help find a new home for this canoe, it's in the Twin Cities area of MN.

If anyone is interested, I'll put you in touch with the owners.
And pics are available once I get them downloaded.

We plan to post this on the For Sale listing soon.

Dan

It's a double ender. Here are a few pics.

Brian, I sent you a PM.
If you want more pics, send me your address via PM.

Attachments

• P1010210.jpg
    P1010210.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 337
  • P9270215.JPG
    P9270215.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 291
  • P9270218.JPG
    P9270218.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 293
  • P9270220.JPG
    P9270220.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 282
  • P9270210.JPG
    P9270210.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 299
  • P9270216.JPG
    P9270216.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Gee, I've always wanted a really big Chestnut Ogilvie, though I'm not absolutely sure why? I suppose it would depend most on the dollar figure as money and I never seem to get along well and the current recession that nobody will admit to is really doing a number on the sailmaking business.

If it has the wineglass stern, I need it. I even have a cousin in St. Paul!

Seriously though, that is on my list of canoes I have to own, so if the $$$ are right I'm interested. I'll be on-deck if Todd passes.

Nice

I don't know why you guys have associated me with these Monsters. The Monsters I deal with belong to other people.

Anyway, my tripping bud has the 20 ft. Ogilvy Pool Y-stern and he is very happy with it. He was strictly a utilitarian plastic boat guy, but he has seen the light and it was good. Highly recommended, but it is heavy.

(And due for rehab soon before the transom falls off :eek: ) Someone smeared fiberglass all over it and that is pretty much the major issue with it. The rest is cosmetic.

PS: Just so there is no confusion, this is my tripping bud's canoe, not the one in Minnesota.

Attachments

• MooseHaulerEdit3.jpg
    MooseHaulerEdit3.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 315
  • MooseHaulerEdit2.jpg
    MooseHaulerEdit2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
The Keelson and the iron on the stern are indicators of a hard life! But it still looks like a worker.

Body Shop

The keelson is original. The iron looks like it came from the part car or a body shop. There is probably some Bondo in there somewhere too.

I would not assume Bondo. I would assume new canvas and likely some shear plank rot and stem damage but as a guy that restores canoes I can say she don't look bad. Migt be missing a thwart as the gunwale line looks hard where the current thwart exists.
Get it Todd and we can sail our big boats together.
John

Scarfed

Yah, John. The photos in my post above are not the canoe which are the subject of the thread. I posted the photos as an example of a 20 ft Ogilvy. But you are right. I think it is an easy fix. The canvas is pretty good now too, but the transom is getting to the point where it needs rehab, so we will take on the canvas etc. soon. The outwales on the Ogilvy in the photo were scarfed at the factory and have let go. They will be on the repair list.

I was kidding about the Bondo. The pop riveted sheet metal reminded me of the floorboards of at least one Ford in my youth. We have not taken the transom apart yet, but the fiberglass didn't help it much either.

This Ogilvy also has a shoe keel if I recall correctly.

Cheers,

Fitz

Flattened tin cans were my favorite.
Glass generally isn't very nice to a transom.Me,I'd start there to avoid the rot,then I'd use the boat till I thought it needed work,then I would strip that old polyester fibreglass off. Meantime I see it floats. They didn't glass over the keel I hope.
Quite possible those gunnals are letting go from Ribrot? If so I guess you strip glass even sooner.
Best Regards
John

Well, it's really tempting - especially considering what good shape it's in, but since I already own one 22' canoe that's not getting enough use, I think I'll pass on this one and keep an eye out for a 20-footer. The pair of them would make a heck of a set of pontoon shoes though.....

Attachments

• biggie 007 copy.jpg
    biggie 007 copy.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 287
Todd,
There is a guy in Ishpeming that has a 20 footer. If I remember correctly it is a guide. It has, however, been glassed. If you want [or anyone else] I'll contact him to see if he really wants to sell and how much. Kathy and I will be going to the Chicago area this month I think. Have a daughter that just moved to Winfield [I think] and we gotta go see her new house.
Denis

Back