Another first timer's question

Tom Wiarda

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am getting ready to apply the canvas filler and I'm a little confused from reading the book on how to apply it. Do I apply the first coat to the entire canoe and then the 2nd and 3rd to the entire canoe? Or do I apply all three coats to a small section and then start over again with all 3 coats to the next section? I am using William Clement's filler. Any other helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom

you do the entire canoe. Stir it up good. Work it in good. Rub it in til your arms fall off. I no longer singe canvas first and it works out. I put two coats on. Or until the gallon is gone. I then use primer, two coats. Then the top color coats. I like Mr. Clements filler. I think if it is too thick or dries too fast, it may crack some.

You will

need more than two coats around the stems where the edges of the canvas are wraped and nailed. You will have to wait a while between these coats so it will build up the required thickness. Trim off any errant threads that stick out with a razor or sharp sissor. The whole filler job will take several weeks to dry depending on the weather and your work location. Sand smooth with a palm sander and apply primer. After that drys sand it smooth and add another. Repeat with two coats of top paint. I've never used Clements filler but I'm sure they all work similar. Check with him to make sure the paint is compatible with the filler. There are several other threads on here about filler and paint. You might do a search.

Just my two cents worth.

I always loved the smell of filler. It goes well with cold beer. Have fun!

Jim

Apply the filler by working in small sections otherwise it will dry before you can rub it in. Brush in about 2-3' working it in. A brush with short, stiff bristles works best. Trim the brush if you can't find one. Work as much filler into the weave as you can. This initial application is almost completely absorbed by the canvas and dries quickly. Go over this section again brushing on a thick even application of filler. Once this second application begins to dry (turns dull), start rubbing it into the canvas until you get the smooth surface you're looking for. It may take a light 3rd coat to get the desired finish. Once you get that section looking the way you want it, move on to the next making sure you overlap. Hope this helps.

Steve

Back