Another Canoe

M Grallert

Trout Whisperer
I've talking about my lucky Ideal AA find to anyone who would listen and bragging on this wed sight for the past few days. Well a friend was listening and asked if I wold find out about his grand fathers canoe.
He found the # 139104-17. There's a question about the 0. Some one in his family covered the poor thing with glass although I think the stuff will peel off with out too much trouble. I will try and get pictures.
Thanks again for any information.
peace
Matthew

Well, the Old Town canoes with serial numbers 139104, 139184 and 139194 are all 17 feet long as shown below so you will need to look for other characteristics to identify your friend's canoe. The one with number 139104 is an HW model with short decks and no sponsons, 139184 is an HW with short decks and sponsons, and 139194 is an Otca model with long decks and no sponsons. The information at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=791 may help confirm the questionable digit. Which one matches?

Benson

Attachments

• 139104.gif
    139104.gif
    53.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 139184.gif
    139184.gif
    51.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 139194.gif
    139194.gif
    53.1 KB · Views: 199
Matthew,

Sponsons are sometimes removed during a re-canvassing, but Old Town put little carry-thwarts at each end of a sponson canoe... so if the one with sponsons is the best fit but the sponsons are gone, look for carry thwarts.

Also, look at the location the canoe was shipped to and see if that makes sense. Canoes don't often travel very far from their original destination.

There will be differences between this canoe and your Ideal, beyond the model and grade of the canoe. Around 1920, Old Town began using the diamond-head bolts to secure thwarts and seat frames. These bolts may be steel in a 1944 canoe.

In 1937 (I think that's the year), Old Town seats were no longer hand-caned... however, by 1944 the supply of cane of any type may have been unavailable, and the canoe may have slatted "war era seats". I believe the slatted seats were used 1943-47, but am not sure how exact that is. Some people switched-out the slat-seats for cane when it became available again.

Those restoring war era canoes can run into deteriorating steel used in place of copper and brass, which became unavailable due to wartime needs. In general, I believe most folks will replace the steel tacks, stem bands, and whatever else if it is deteriorating, but leave in place any steel that's still okay because it's part of the history of the canoe.

Keep your eyes open for more wood/canvas canoes!

Kathy

Looks like I need to put my eyes on it.

Thank you Benson.
Looks like I'll have to go and take a look at this canoe. When I do I'll take some pictures. I'll also ask if any of these names a familiar to my friend.
peace

Back