An Old Lady and a Teddy have a day out at the Pub!

Nick Dennis

WCHA UK
Here in the UK Sam Browning has been busy restoring a Pre-Fire Chestnut Teddy. We he finished it and so,armed with my camera and my 1900 Peterborough Cedar Rib we arranged to meet at the Ferry House Inn on the River Yare east of Norwich for a paddle. Our destination was the maze which is Surlingham Broad an area of reed beds veined with narrow channels. We had GPS to help us get around and find our bearings.

DSC_5687.JPG

Ready for the off in its new paint which I called "Manky copper"

DSC_5714.JPG

My view. Fresh varnish on my old lady "Femme Fatale"

DSC_5703.JPG

The wide entrance into Surlingham Broad
DSC_5719.JPG

Things were closing in on us. We startled a few Grey herons and had Cuckoos and Marsh Harriers flying around us.
DSC_5712.JPG

Into the depths we went..
DSC_5734.JPG

DSC_5718.JPG

DSC_5721.JPG

Keeping tabs!
DSC_5739.JPG

We made it in and out and finished with a light lunch in the pub with a beer to wash it all down. A great paddle; one of exploration and discovery. Here is a plot of our route in and out.
image.png

The Norfolk Broads is a member of the National Parks group and is colloquially known as "Britain's Magical Waterland". For the first time in a while we were both stopped by the River Police and were asked to show our licences. Fortunately we were both legal!

My Cedar Rib was watertight and Sam's teddy was looking bright in its fresh new finish. Another one saved and back in use.

Go paddling; you know it makes sense.

Nick

Last edited:
Glad to read that you were both legal! I would have hated to hear you missed out on a stop at the pub because you had to spend time with the local constabulary trying to explain yourself. Looks like a nice day out.
Jim

Back