An Introduction

Jim et al

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello,

I have recently joined the WCHA. I was assured by the lovely woman on the phone that I am now eligible for free drinks at all WCHA airport lounges both in the North America and abroad. She told me all I had to do was find one first.
I am a long time rough water sea kayaker and fly by the seat of my pants small craft builder. I own a handful of kayaks including pair of wonderful wooden baidarkas. One baidarka is a huge double with a sail. My wife really enjoys sailing it with me.
I just purchased a 1962 Old Town OTCA, serial #172288, who's keel was laid in Sept of that year. I was given a copy of the build order by the previous owner. He apparently held the boat for ten years after receiving it as partial payment for some cabinetry work. The trail cools after that.
When he received it the canvas was beyond saving. He peeled and glassed it pretty darn well with 4 oz e glass doubling the glass over the middle third of the hull. As to be expected the ends need a bit of attention but nothing too crazy. A quick inspection makes me think it wont be too much more than some varnish work and perhaps a tasteful cream stripe to accent the tanbark hull. At least for now. The ultimate goal is to have a ball going through my copy of Canoe Rig and recreating all the bits and pieces necessary to turn this canoe into a sailing canoe.

Jim

PS I drove 14 hours round trip through three states yesterday to purchase this canoe without telling my wife what I was doing. I hope you find this last bit at least partial proof that I am worthy. Pics perhaps this week.

Congradulations!.... but you got a bit of misinformation. As the newest wcha member YOU have to buy the drinks for all the older WCHA members in the lounge. Meet you at the airport!

Ps:

PS:..........Rollin forgot to mention that there are 5,280 Canoe airports in Georgia ALONE!....Packing my suitcase and hope to see you at each one soon:D .....Welcome and make sure to purchase a book called. " The Wood & Canvas Canoe" It will guide you thru every step you will be undertaking to make that a PRIZED addtion to your collection. Its available here on this site in our "store" if you cant find it loacally./B]

Back