Amature radio

Canoe Shelburne

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I was wondering how many people out there carry ham radios with them??
I never go out without one. In 2008 while preparing for a 6 to 7 day canoe trip down the Shelburne River in Nova Scotia. This is a trip through the remotest part of the province. I had the though "What if we get into trouble on day 1 or 2. It would be a week before anyone would think to look for us" So I began to consider my options. I looked at the spot but I did not appeal to me. I did not like the idea of a annnual subscription. I new that cell was not a viable option. Then I friend suggested getting my Amature radio licence. It was free to get you have it for life. You just need to pass a written test. I was able to get a Yaesu VX-150 hand held radio for $100 second hand. Now while on trips I plan to check in every evening with someone to let them know that all is well and if a emergency situation happens I can call for help. In all the trips thatI have been on since I have never had any trouble making contact with some one no matter where I was and to date I have not been in an emergency situation.

For more info about my travels check my website www.canoeshelburne.com

I don't regularly carry a radio in my canoe but the back cover of the 1925 Old Town Canoe Company catalog attached below indicates that this might have been more popular in the past.

Benson

Attachments

• BACK.JPG
    BACK.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 283
A hand-held 2-meter unit is line-of-sight communication and very limited by power output, small antenna, and terrain interference. If the party you're planning on checking in with is more than a few miles away you probably won't reach them unless you're able to hit a repeater from your location. If you really want back-country communication you'll need HF which means a larger mobile unit, battery pack, and antenna(s). They're a little smaller than the one on the back of the catalog Benson posted ;) but still more space and weight than I would want to drag around. The annual subscription for a Spot is cheap insurance when you're miles from nowhere in an emergency situation.

Regarding a scheduled nightly check-in, make sure the person you're planning on checking in with knows the limitations of 2-meter comms in remote areas or you may end up getting a bill for the SAR mission they launch!

Last edited:
Back