50 pounder front seat dimensions

Al Sienkiewicz

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I am currently restoring a 1931 OT 50 pounder and need the dimensions to make a front seat. The size of the frame and the number of caning holes per side would be helpful. Thanks, Al

The three Old Town canoes in my garage from 1907, 1931, and 1936 all have hand caned bow seats that are nearly identical so your fifty pound model may have been similar. Each was made from one and three quarter by seven eighths inch stock and the bow seat has an outside dimension of fifteen by ten inches. The inside dimensions are eleven and a half by six and a half inches. There are fifteen by eight holes spaced three quarters of an inch on center and three eights of an inch back from the inside edge with no holes on the corners as shown below.

You may also find the thread at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=61 and the image at http://forums.wcha.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36&d=1100548356 helpful.

Benson

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 281
Benson thanks, with the ribs and planking being lighter I wasn't sure if that thinking extended to the seats as well. Appreciate the help. - Al

I suspect that the seats were all made the same since the size of the people using the fifty pound models were not substantially different from the other models. Hopefully someone who owns one can reply here and confirm that for us.

Benson

50 pounder.

Al:

You may have noticed I recently posted a serial no. request for a 50 pounder. I don't think it will help you though. It is later 1960 vintage and has a mast seat, that was added later and includes machine made/pressed cane.

Attachments

• 50PounderSeat.jpg
    50PounderSeat.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 248
Fitz: Thank you, a sail rig was added to this 50 pounder and appears to have been sailed hard (numerous cracks in the inwales etc.) As much as I love to sail, I'm not going to put the sail rig back on, I'll save it for something down the road. I think the construction of the 50 pounder is light for enduring the forces of a sail rig.

Back