3" hinge on gunnel? Common to Canada?

Treewater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I have a Peterborough and a Capital Boat Works canoe. Both have had 3" hinges? mounted on the gunnels. The Peterborough had two mounted on each side. The Capital had four mounted on each side. I doubt these were oar locks. All oar locks I've seen had two or four mounting screws. The center screw is like a door hinge, it resists twisting torgue. Given that both canoes had fishing (?) add ons my guess this there was a common fishing attachment in Canada. Anyone know?

Attachments

• IMG_20240405_121742866_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240405_121742866_HDR.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 34
I once had a Folbot with a sailing rig. I didn't like the location of the leeboards, so I created a new mount for them, consisting of a plank across the hull with the leeboard brackets mounted on each end. The plank was attached to the cockpit coaming with hinges. For each hinge, one half was on the plank and the other half on the coming. To car-top the kayak, the hinge pins were simply pulled out.
I could see an arrangement like this for a motor mount, but I'm not sure why anyone would need more than one set.

I once had a Folbot with a sailing rig. I didn't like the location of the leeboards, so I created a new mount for them, consisting of a plank across the hull with the leeboard brackets mounted on each end. The plank was attached to the cockpit coaming with hinges. For each hinge, one half was on the plank and the other half on the coming. To car-top the kayak, the hinge pins were simply pulled out.
I could see an arrangement like this for a motor mount, but I'm not sure why anyone would need more than one set.
I think you're on the right track. Somehow, in Canada, a common ersatz arrangement took place. What? Only an old timer would know.
BTW...I was out with a Folbot Super sailing just last week. I agree with you.

Back