1967 trailcraft fiberglass two piece

Hello, new to the board. I recently inherited a 1967 trailcraft fiberglass canoe from my father. It was the model that came in two pieces and was assembled from there. It is all original, but has some leaks and cracking in the fiberglass. I am looking for information about value as is. Does it lose value if restored/repainted. Is there information on how to restore it somewhere? It is yellow with double black stripes on the front and a black stripe where the joint is in the middle. I have original paddles, life preservers, roof rack and all paperwork including shipping tickets. Thanks for any help. Scott

Very, very few fiberglass canoes have any sort of "antique" value, whether they are in original condition or have been "restored" or somehow modified. In order to be more valuable than just about any other old glass boat they would need to have some sort of historical significance or be in absolutely pristine condition. There are a few old fiberglass canoes that I would pay top dollar for, just because I always liked that particular model and wouldn't mind having another one if I could find one in really good shape, but for the most part old glass boats do not appreciate much and $400-$500 is about as much as any of them are worth.

From a construction standpoint, they also often tend to be very out of date compared to modern composite boats which are generally lighter and stronger (sometimes by a very big margin). The Trailcraft fiberglass models would almost certainly fall into that category and are most likely a layup using a high percentage of fiberglass mat.

Fix it up as needed, use it and enjoy it for what it is, but the chances of having any effect on it's resale value are minimal at best. It's often even difficult to increase the value on old fiberglass restorations enough to pay for the materials needed to do the job, so don't drop a pile of money into it unless it's for your own use and enjoyment.

Just for fun, you might see if you can dig up a copy of Trailcraft's old magazine ad for that boat. They used to run a priceless picture demonstrating the strength of the joint connecting the front half to the back half by bridging the boat between some boxes or saw-horses and having a couple of fat guys standing in it.

Back